Allpar Forums banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
patfromigh said:
My '12 Avenger is a four speed and it runs great. My car has the Easter egg feature where putting the shift selector in 3 brings on a more aggressive shift pattern. There's nothing wrong with a transmission with two decades of refinement.
Yeah, I didn't mind the 4 speed in the old minivan, nor the bastard child Astro Van I own that is throwing a rather shocking fit lately (gotta find the source of arcing). In some ways I prefer a 4 speed and in some ways I prefer the 6. For slow cruising through town I generally like the 4, highway I like the 6, and in all out merge NOW I like the 6.

·
Super Moderator
32,162 Posts
The 6-speed autostick allows you to start in any gear, 1-5, from a stop. Nice feature on ice.

·
Registered
164 Posts
TripleT said:
Last time I had a rental it was a Avenger 2.4 4spd, it could not get out of its own way. Nice car other than that but was a dog.
I have an 09 Sebring with the 2.4 and 4speed automatic. Other than the interior, I have been pleased with the car. My 82 Omni with the 1.7 and 3 speed auto was truly a dog! My problem now is my 13 T&C Touring makes the 09 Sebring look downright plain.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Bob Lincoln said:
The 6-speed autostick allows you to start in any gear, 1-5, from a stop. Nice feature on ice.
Not true if I knew correctly. You can choose to start in either first or second gear; but selecting 3 and above will make it start in 1st and and proceed to the higher gear until redline where it will automatically shift into the next higher gear.

I know that is how it is done on the 2011 Town and Country... as I did it yesterday. I started in second, held the gear through the intersection with light throttle and when onto the highway I let it back into Econ by pressing and holding it to the right. It won't let me do that with 3rd or above.

The 200 autostick holds the gear for downshifting too. I can give as much pressure in 6 when selected and it will just give as much omph as it can in 6th gear until you'd stall it and it takes back over.

·
Super Moderator
32,162 Posts
Well, the owner's manual says that you can start in any gear 1-5.  I haven't tested all 5, but 2 and 3 worked. It does shift automatically if you overrev.  And of course, it won't let you lug, so you can only get going in 3-5 if you are starting downhill.

http://www.chrysler.com/en/owners/manuals and choose 2012 Chrysler 200 owner's manual, page 316.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I see, well then I misinterpreted that paragraph due to never starting in conditions that allowed for me to start in that high of gear in the 200. I've done second... will have to try 3rd... but point taken.

I guess the Vans are not "autostick" but something else, because they behave differently... ah I just checked. It is an "Electronic Range Selection." Not the autostick, hence the difference.

·
Super Moderator
32,162 Posts
On level ground, it probably will only start in 1st or 2nd. I was able to start in 3rd on a slight downhill slope. It would have to be steep to get 4th or 5th.

And a special note that if you select the starting gear BEFORE coming to a complete stop, the transmission will ignore it and start in 1st. The gear has to be selected AFTER a full stop. So it requires concentration, more than I'd usually be willing to dedicate. That's why I prefer a manual transmission - it always does what I want it to.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Bob Lincoln said:
On level ground, it probably will only start in 1st or 2nd. I was able to start in 3rd on a slight downhill slope. It would have to be steep to get 4th or 5th.

And a special note that if you select the starting gear BEFORE coming to a complete stop, the transmission will ignore it and start in 1st. The gear has to be selected AFTER a full stop. So it requires concentration, more than I'd usually be willing to dedicate. That's why I prefer a manual transmission - it always does what I want it to.
Haha well I am good about that one. The complete stop part. I still need to learn stick, as is, if it listens to me it'll break.

·
Registered
97 Posts
patfromigh said:
My '12 Avenger is a four speed and it runs great. My car has the Easter egg feature where putting the shift selector in 3 brings on a more aggressive shift pattern. There's nothing wrong with a transmission with two decades of refinement.
we bought a slavage rental Avenger, had the base 2.4 and 4 spd. it has been a great car for us, I just wish that it had fog lights and remote start (which can both be fixed as soon as aftermarket fogs become available) 28K on the clock, I am surprised that dodge says it can go 8k on a oil change.

It has nice fit and finish, and the seats are uber-comfortable. I did notice they seem to be made from that material that stains really easy though (just like office chairs)

I can see why they have risen in popularity. In a way I am sad they are eventually going away; this is the car Dodge should have started with in 07.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Just shopped Avenger, Dart and 200 and Patriot today. Love the Journey so much I am gonna get me one of the others for MEEE. Comfort and features, I think I am going Dart 2.4 Limited but am not quite sure yet. Love the chocolate bronze 200 i saw though. I about wept when I saw it.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Mileage update; I had the car on the freeway for a period of time yesterday, and got as good as 7.6 L per 100 kms. and averaged about 9.8 L per 100 kms for the day. I've put on 188 kms. since I picked it up.
I'll let Stratus do the conversion as the differences between Imperial and U.S. gallons always screw me up. Remember that this car only has 188 kms/117 miles on the clock. I am the first driver of it, so it hasn't even been broken in yet.
Acceleration is a little slower than I'm used to, (I normally drive a Hemi!), but perfectly good for this vehicle. I would guess it is better with the six speed, but if I were going to use this as my city car, I would be perfectly happy to do so with the four speed.

Once again, I want to re-iterate what a pleasure to drive this car is. I love the size, especially for parking, and the handling, FWD is so good in the snow, even with a little torque steer. (which is mostly a result of my right foot!)

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
The best engine is the 6 its a wonderful car with that engine,there is no chance I would buyit with the 4.
With the 6 the car is another animal, take my advice, and if you plan to buy a 200 or an Avenger go for the 6

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Fuel update - On a longer highway drive yesterday I saw 7.9 L per 100 kms. at 110 -115 kph. That is between 70 - 75 mph. The Magnum gets around 10.2 at the same speed.

·
Registered
13,037 Posts
I owned and put over 150,000 miles on a 2008 Sebring Limited with the 2.4. Other than cheap materials, it was not a horrible vehicle.

Before buying my current 300C, CJDSalesPro gave me a 200 S with the 3.6 for a few days. I put about 500 miles on it. It proved that with the proper tweaks, the Sebring could achieve its potential with a great ride, quiet interior and great fuel economy.

PS: I bought the 300C because I drive over 5000 miles per month and essentially live in the car.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
I love my 200 S. I wish it had all the tech goodies but thats hardly a deal breaker. The 3.6 is a gem of an engine.

·
Premium Member
3,347 Posts
I recently rented a 200 with the V6. What a great car! Loved the ride and the power. It reminded me a lot of my 300M. Great car! That said, am not so sure why our local dealer has twenty 200s and they all have the I4. It is such a great car with the Pentastar. Do they need all the V6 engines for other vehicles?

Erik Latranyi said:
I owned and put over 150,000 miles on a 2008 Sebring Limited with the 2.4. Other than cheap materials, it was not a horrible vehicle.

Before buying my current 300C, CJDSalesPro gave me a 200 S with the 3.6 for a few days. I put about 500 miles on it. It proved that with the proper tweaks, the Sebring could achieve its potential with a great ride, quiet interior and great fuel economy.

PS: I bought the 300C because I drive over 5000 miles per month and essentially live in the car.
How many miles do you have on your 300C now? Yours has a HEMI, right? How often do you do oil changes? I am still a little worried about the timing chain issue that some have experienced with the VVT HEMIs.

·
Super Moderator
32,162 Posts
Well, the 4 is cheaper, so they can sell more; the power is fine; it's a great engine with 173 hp (vs my Daytona's 100 hp). And my wife would kill herself with the 280 or so hp from the V-6. So she got the 4 and is very happy with it.

·
Registered
13,037 Posts
hmk123 said:
I recently rented a 200 with the V6. What a great car! Loved the ride and the power. It reminded me a lot of my 300M. Great car! That said, am not so sure why our local dealer has twenty 200s and they all have the I4. It is such a great car with the Pentastar. Do they need all the V6 engines for other vehicles?

How many miles do you have on your 300C now? Yours has a HEMI, right? How often do you do oil changes? I am still a little worried about the timing chain issue that some have experienced with the VVT HEMIs.
I am just under 50,000 miles. Oil changes are about every 7,000 miles. I use synthetic as a personal preference and change it myself.

This is my second 300C with the Hemi. Never had a hint of the timing chain issue. It is an overblown internet thing by Chrysler haters.

·
Premium Member
3,347 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:
I am just under 50,000 miles. Oil changes are about every 7,000 miles. I use synthetic as a personal preference and change it myself.

This is my second 300C with the Hemi. Never had a hint of the timing chain issue. It is an overblown internet thing by Chrysler haters.
Well, in our local Challenger club of about 100 members we have had two incidences last year. I own an R/T myself and wouldn't want this to happen...

21 - 40 of 63 Posts