Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

$30 to $50 dollars? Please tell me why? To power low beam headlights? Coil is open circuit. Does it have transistors? Or even a coil de-spiking diode? Why can't I adapt a genuine TYCO relay? Thank you.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
. . . $30 to $50 dollars? Please tell me why? To power low beam headlights? Coil is open circuit. Does it have transistors? Or even a coil de-spiking diode? Why can't I adapt a genuine TYCO relay? . . . .
What is the specific model of 2000 Chevrolet that uses this relay? Impala, Malibu, Silverado, ???

Casual inspection indicates a different arrangement of the flat blade pins on the relay. Some Chevrolet relays have 4 pins with 1 at each corner of the base. Mopar relays will have 4 or 5 pins arranged such that they plug in only 1 way.

·
Super Moderator
21,403 Posts
Pop the cover with a small flatblade and take a look. It could be as simple as a resoldering job? Possibly a coil lead has detached?
If you know the pinout, a generic relay may work if you snip off the 2 terminals?
I remember that my Neon dome lamp relay had a timer circuit built inside it to turn off the dome lamp after about 20 minutes.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wuuwee. Turns out the gizmo is not a relay but an interface to a BCM. Decides to deflect to daytime running lights. When yanked there are no low beams (stupid) and when bypassed lights up the Check Engine Light and ECU goes open loop. Stupidity at it's finest. Thanks for the hint however. MoPar forever

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Can you give us more specifics on the vehicle and the relay? From what I can tell, that looks like a flasher relay. It might also be related to the automatic headlight system, if the vehicle has it - if that's the case, it can be bypassed. Again, we need more information to be able to assist. "2000 Chevy" is a bit broad.

·
Registered
23 Posts

$30 to $50 dollars? Please tell me why? To power low beam headlights? Coil is open circuit. Does it have transistors? Or even a coil de-spiking diode? Why can't I adapt a genuine TYCO relay? Thank you.
Because Chevy had to take a tried and proven design and make it "Chevy better". Ha, Ha. Now they have proprietary rights on the design for the next 20 years or so.
Besides, you don't want their CEO starving do???
ED

1 - 6 of 6 Posts