Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2000 300M with 182,000 miles is shifting a bit funny.

it is shifting a bit odd. 1st to 2nd is sometimes ok and sometimes intermittent with a bit of an extra 'bump" in the shift. not a shudder but a little hickup in the shift. 2nd to 3rd is smooth. 3rd to 4th always is a bit harsh and has a bit of an engine rev before it engages.

Just changed fluid and filter. Nothing unusual in trans, not burnt, but was pretty grey/black and a good bit of fuzz on the magnet.

Put in 1/2 Mopar ATF+4 and 1/2 Amsoil ATF as i've done on all of my Chryslers for years but it didn't change anything.

No codes show up. Haven't been able to check the CVIs. Can those be checked with a scan tool in the car?

Any thoughts on what might be going on?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
31,981 Posts
Yes. Use the fluid recommended - Chrysler ATF+4 or approved equivalent.

·
Super Moderator
36,917 Posts
If the old fluid was deteriorated, the computer will have to learn a bit before shift quality improves.
Of course, you can perform a quick learn with the proper scan tool, which could also check for transmission specific error codes (not just the OBDII Pxxxx codes) and get the CVI values for you. Lots of the shift issues can be related to low fluid pressure.

·
Super Moderator
31,981 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What type of tool is needed to read the trans codes? Dealer only or will the better shops have that too?

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Super Moderator
36,917 Posts
You can find shops other than the dealerwith the proper scan tool. It's a more expensive tool so not all shops may have it.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I noticed tonight driving home that the 300M does not have an audible bzzzzzzz tick like the other cars in our fleet.

Not sure it if means anything or not.

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
Both the 41TE and 42LE have solenoid packs, but the 42LE's (LH cars) is internal and generally not audible. The 41TE's was in the front and had a foam pad cover to quieten it.
The 'Zzzztck' was designed out of the sol packs about 2002 and they were silent afterwards.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
I hear that buzz, tick all the time out of 99 Grand Caravan. Not while driving, but if I'm at a bank drive up window or fast food line, things like that. I'm guessing that it's normal, because the van runs and shifts great.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Our 2002 Intrepid does have an audible bzzzzztick but it isn't as loud as the Town and Country's bzzztick.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Bzzzztick is good, Solenoid pack is controlled PWM and under the right conditions you can hear the actuators.
Amsoil ATF claims to be ATF+4 compliant and compatable.
Trans will eventually relearn shift points after a fluid change but you can also manually reset.
Pulling the fuse for the TCM (fuse Q in under hood box) and leaving it out for a few minutes will erase old adaptive memory and accellerate the process.

·
Super Moderator
36,917 Posts
FIREM said:
Pulling the fuse for the TCM (fuse Q in under hood box) and leaving it out for a few minutes will erase old adaptive memory and accellerate the process.
After about 1993 or so, the TCM memory is non-volatile and can only be reset with a scan tool.

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
If it doesn't meet Chrysler MS-9602, it is not ATF+4. (ms=material standard).
It is considered a 'semi-synthetic' (blended) fluid.
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_ATF_4.aspx
A 'quicklearn' would adjust CVI's for the smoothest shifting. Make note of the CVI values before and after the quicklearn to note the change in clutch volumes from the quicklearn and as a 'baseline' for future service reference if the occasion arises.
A scan tool (DRB III or equivalent) would be needed.

·
Super Moderator
31,981 Posts
If it is truly non-volatile memory as Mark says, pulling a fuse will do absolutely nothing. That's why it's called non-volatile.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did do a battery disconnect and it does seem to be shifting smoother but that may unrelated

Will see if i can get a shop to check CVIs and reset (quicklearn) next week.

In the mean time:...For now I need to fiddle with very clunky suspension and partially operating (vent only) ATC. Had the same suspension problem on 02 intrepid. After i had it jacked up to change wheel bearings the suspension got real noisy. Put new struts on Intrepid as the lower rubber mounts were completely gone.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Good to hear trans shifting better. Suspension clunk common cause is sway bar bushings and end links on these cars.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
shifting is kinda back to the way it was. a bit of a hickup (feels like double shift) 1 to 2nd, smooth 2-3 and a hesitation in 3-4

mostly curious if anyone else has had this and how they fixed it.

I hate to not fix things that need to be fixed but Tempted to leave it alone until it gets "bad". I've found 4-5 transmissions around here for $100 to $150 with 76,000 to 120,000 miles (of course some higher). The good (Russ Moore rebuilt) solenoid pack for the 02 intrepid was $140 about 3 years ago. Of course add new fluid filter to any replacement trans.

Plenty of transmisisons around with the bad 2.7s out there.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts