Allpar Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyone once again! My beloved minivan made the move with me to college in Utah. However, the recent non-arizona downpour in Logan has caused my roof to start to leak. The leak is really small and drips out of the overhead console and I'd like to get it fixed asap. I do have a factory roof rack on my van, I'm thinking of re-sealing the two black strips that go along the roof of my van as well as any point that the roof rack connects to the roof itself. I am wondering if anyone has experienced this problem before and what they did to fix this issue, also does anyone have any suggestions or wise tips on stopping this leak?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Take the rack off the roof and seal the mounting holes with clear silicon, after it dries put your rack back on. Do not try to seal the rack to the roof, it won't work for very long.

·
Registered
161 Posts
only seal where the the shell of the roof is compromised. In other words only where mounts go through the roof metal would need sealing. It can't be more than 10 studs/bolt holes..Understand?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to help anyone with this problem in the future I'll do a follow up. I removed the roof rack by removing the 10 bolts holding it down. I then cleaned all of the dirt off around the mounts and used Q-tips to clean the holes in the roof where the bolts attach. I then used silicone to seal around the perimeter of the mounting holes and wrapped each screw in teflon tape. I put the roof rack back on and before I re-installed each bolt I put a good amount of silicone in the mounting hole, this way as I tightened each bolt down silicone would get in the bolt tread to further seal each bolt. It seems to be holding out just fine now, no more leaks!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Just to help anyone with this problem in the future I'll do a follow up. I removed the roof rack by removing the 10 bolts holding it down. I then cleaned all of the dirt off around the mounts and used Q-tips to clean the holes in the roof where the bolts attach. I then used silicone to seal around the perimeter of the mounting holes and wrapped each screw in teflon tape. I put the roof rack back on and before I re-installed each bolt I put a good amount of silicone in the mounting hole, this way as I tightened each bolt down silicone would get in the bolt tread to further seal each bolt. It seems to be holding out just fine now, no more leaks!
This is an excellent post- thanks for the information!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I'm kinda reviving this post because I have tried all stated above and yet my roof still leaks. But I recently had an epiphany, now I only get dripping from the front overhead console. Yesterday I realized that the front windshield goes a few inches past the headliner. Looked up online and I discovered that if the windshield was installed incorrectly that it can leak. And what would you know, the leak started happening after I recently had my windshield replaced last summer! The windshield has a lifetime warranty on incorrect installation, so I think I'm going to go back and have them fix it! :D

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
if they fix the windshield you should see about getting all the water damage fixed as well

·
Registered
976 Posts
Another source of water leaks is cracked adhesive in the roof seams. They are of weld-bonded construction, held together by adhesive and spot welds. Over time, the adhesive cracks, starting a leak. That problem is also fixable with silicone, by sealing all around the trim moldings that cover the seams. You would need the "flowable" kind.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Way ahead of you :) the water is leaking from the center of the roof and not the sides, I have already removed the headliner to confirm it :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts