Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok the other day the u joints left. So I go to O'Reilly to get new ones. Got back and they're to small. Tradesman out and the second ones are to small. Put em in anyway and thought I could get away with it. Should've known better. Broke the yoke on front end. Now I've a new (to me) drive shaft coming in. Is there measurement I can take to get the right ones so I'm not walking back and forth?

·
Super Moderator
21,362 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Bring the old ones to the parts counter with you so there is no question. Or measure the cap diameter and cross length.
U-joints have standard sizes, but there are a few to choose from.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Welcome to Allpar.
O'Reily's has a plethora of u-joints and caps and NONE of their catalogs seem to be correct, or match the description.
I have had to take both the old joints and my calipers with me and spend hours with a patience counter man and manager, in order to get the correct joints.
Sorry you found out the hard way.
There are dozens of variations and sizes that were used by Chrysler and Jeep and they vary by year, model and axle type.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Wickedoldwolf said:
Ok the other day the u joints left. So I go to O'Reilly to get new ones. Got back and they're to small. Tradesman out and the second ones are to small. Put em in anyway and thought I could get away with it. Should've known better. Broke the yoke on front end. Now I've a new (to me) drive shaft coming in. Is there measurement I can take to get the right ones so I'm not walking back and forth?
Go to a Dodge dealer with you vehicle' s VIN and you will be able to purchase the CORRECT parts without wasting so much time, effort and money. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts