Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently been having problems with throwing my belt out here in the boonies of Buckeye, AZ, after shopping around I found that Goodyear makes a serpentine belt conversion kit (part #49215K) Basically what it does is replace the belt with a double sided grooved belt, and replace the tensioner and idler puley with groved pulleys. The only thing I'm worried about is the fact that this kit does not come with a water pump pulley that is grooved, and after looking around I can't find a grooved water pump pulley. My concern is that if I run the double groved belt that the smooth pulley of the water pump with distort the grooves in the belt or slip on the pulley, losing performance from the water pump (which CAN NOT happen with the AZ summer coming up). So, will I be safe running this setup with the smooth pulley? or better yet is there a grooved water pump pulley from another chrysler vehicle that I could just bolt on to my water pump?

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
There has to be something wrong, it shouldnt throw belts..
Alignment?
All driven/ rotating parts really ok?
Tensioner?

·
Super Moderator
21,357 Posts
Looking straight down at the belt path and using a long straight-edge (yardstick?), look for any cocked pulleys or pulleys that are out farther than the others. Tensioners are common culprits.
Sometimes a replacement P/S pump or alternator won't have a fully seated or the correct pulley installed. I would prefer to fix the root problem than install a band-aid that may not fix it.

·
Super Moderator
36,920 Posts
The double sided belts are awesome. I've ran them since around 100k on my van with the 3.8. I never had a belt throwing problem but I hated all the ringing I could not get rid of with stock type belts and tensioners. Even here in Atlanta's horrible traffic with temps that can be in the 100º range in traffic that does not move and the AC blasting the van stays cool, not as hot as Arizona but also more humid. Van now has 155k or so and onto a new owner who is a relative. I used another vendor than Goodyear, the name slips my mind now.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There has to be something wrong, it shouldnt throw belts..
Alignment?
All driven/ rotating parts really ok?
Tensioner?
Sorry forgot to add a little more info, I doesn't throw belts very often, but when it does it's always when the belt is wet and it's raining outside, usually when I go through water more than 3 or 4 inches deep, I've replaced the belt and tensioner twice but still have the same problem, and I cant really avoid the water as I live in a very rural area, so I know for sure that I'm going to make the switch, I'm just worried about the water pump pulley not being grooved and how that may affect the water pump and/or the belt, or is there nothing to worry about?

The double sided belts are awesome. I've ran them since around 100k on my van with the 3.8. I never had a belt throwing problem but I hated all the ringing I could not get rid of with stock type belts and tensioners. Even here in Atlanta's horrible traffic with temps that can be in the 100º range in traffic that does not move and the AC blasting the van stays cool, not as hot as Arizona but also more humid. Van now has 155k or so and onto a new owner who is a relative. I used another vendor than Goodyear, the name slips my mind now.
The kit from good year just has the tensioner and idler pulley swaps, did yours come with a grooved water pump pulley? or did you just run it with the standard smooth pulley with no problems?

·
Super Moderator
36,920 Posts
It was the same pieces as the Goodyear kit, kept the original water pump pulley.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Dorman Shield. Put one on the tensioner and you're done. Everything else stays stock. Spend more money if you like.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Just my 2-cents:

The water pump pulley only has contact on about 1/6 of the pulley, thusly the faces of the grooves on the belt will not get as much pressure as on any of the primary service pulleys or the tensioner pulley.

·
KOG
6,995 Posts
Does your car still have the splash shield on the passenger side?

·
Super Moderator
21,357 Posts
If the belt only slips off in wet or snow and the belt path is true and the wheel well splash shield is intact, the following TSB may be helpful for '96-'00 NS minivans. I find the pictures especially useful in what to look for as being the main cause of the belt slipping off.
I have never used the aftermarket fixes but if everything is as pictured, there shouldn't be a problem in the first place.
The Mopar part numbers have superseded since this bulletin was published. The newer Mopar serp belts have an almost 'gummy' flat side for better grip and quiet operation.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/VirtualWrench/2010-02-21_204236_tsb.pdf

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,671 Posts
I pretty much agree with IC. I had the belt slip off my '00 T&C Ltd in a downpour in our church parking lot. I did get it back on, but not before I was soaked to the skin. Not fun.

Anyway, a few weeks after that incident when I had my Ram in for service I asked one of the dealer techs about the belt slipping off and the aftermarket kits. His opinion was when properly installed with a new tensioner the belt should not slip off even in wet rainy conditions. He recommended replacing the tensioner whenever the belt was replaced. He felt the aftermarket kits (Dorman and Good Year) were a waste of money. Yeah, they work but like IC indicated, it's a bandaid ofr sorts - you're not fixing the real problem - a weak worn belt and a tensioner that has lost it's spring strength.

·
Super Moderator
36,920 Posts
But the Goodyear kit runs quiet, something that doesn't always happen with the original hollow metal tensioner and idler pulleys. It got rid of the ringing I always heard on my van.

·
Super Moderator
36,920 Posts
I bought one at Autozone and one from rockauto.com though both those were some years back.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
On my departed '99 GC, I went with the Dorman "shield", along with the new belt and the new tensioner.

This way, even if the tensioner got weak, the belt wouldn't come off in the crappy weather. Like it did once before. Re-threading the belt in the dark in -20 temps is not something I recommend.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I wish I could say our 2000 GrdVoy had only thrown one belt. It threw 3 in a single trip (my wife & her sister, 300 miles from home) and 2 since. (over an eight year period) Every single time it was the same senerio: left-turn through a large puddle or other standing water. Everything has been checked and replaced multiple times. Right now, I have an idler chirping/singing (only 3-yr old) so I am going to replace everything with the dbl-sided. On a recent trip, I got caught in a deluge and I held my breath every time I heard water splashing up under the right front. I can't live like this any more.....

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
Same here. The grooved belt/pulley thing was backordered 3 weeks, AutoZone had the belt, tensioner, and Dorman shield in stock - and it was cheaper overall.

Not saying one's better than the other - just different solutions to the problem.

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
Also, make sure that there is no buildup in the bottom of the pulley grooves. Definitely adds to the problem.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts