Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2000 dodge neon. Girlfriend bumped a pole. A few weeks later check engine light came on. Then a week later her call stalled out and would not crank. After we towed it home I tried looking under the hood. The battery was taken and tested and they said the battery was bad. Replaced it. The PCM was erased when the battery died so we can't check the code. I can jump the starter at the PDC and it will crank the engine. Replaced the cam sensor and re spliced the wires at the nuetral safety switch. Nuetral safety tested out fine. Starter is fine and all the relays tested out fine when I checked them
All. Problem is when I turn the key, the dash lights up and gauges all work. When I turn to start, nothing. Radio shuts off while I start like it should but the started doesn't even kick in. The relays won't click or anything. The starter signal isn't getting power I turn to start. I started checking the PCM connectors and pin 20 has no power. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
Do you have power in at the heavy red wire to the ign switch?
The pot metal key cylinder actuator can also break and prevent the switch from reaching all the way to the 'start' position or the ign switch itself may have failed. The actuator is serviced with a key cylinder. If you don't have one already, you probably should get a good service manual.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
I can't offhand remember where the battery is located on this car (ie, in the wheel well) and I speculate that one of the battery cables is damaged, possibly from the impact.

I've had the negative cable on my Nissan pickup corrode from the pole connector in more than an inch, and I had similar behavior. Accessories worked but the cable wouldn't conduct enough amperage to work the starter.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
The battery and the PDC (power distribution center-fuse/relay box) are in the left, front corner of the car. The PCM may be in that corner as well.
Any aftermarket alarm or remote start system that could be preventing it from cranking?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts