Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I have a bad problem and any info or advice or help will soooo greatly appreciated! This 2000 sebring convertible has the 2.5ltr V6. It goes up to about 40mph and that's it. It will shift into 2nd from 1st but won't shift to 3rd from 2nd. It goes in park, reverse, neutral, 1st, 2nd just fine. But when its time for it to hit drive it won't do it. Now it will go in drive when its cold. But once its warm that's it for 3rd or D, whatever I'm supposed to call it. If its little like the output or input speed sensors, where are they at? Can't find em yet. If its a solenoid of some type, where is that or how do I swap it out? And if its just bad news, I guess let me know. I can take it. Don't want to, but can. And thanks a whole lot everyone. Any little or big advice is greatly appreciated. Any. At all. Little stuff. Big stuff. Any stuff you can tell me is fine! Thxxxxx, Marc.

·
Super Moderator
36,950 Posts
You really need to get the car somewhere that has a scanner that can access the transmission computer to pull the error codes from it. That's the only sure way to know where the problem is.

If the check engine light is on, a scan with an OBDII scanner may also provide some insight but not as much as the option above.

·
Super Moderator
21,369 Posts
Your transaxle is in limp-in (2nd gear) and a fault code should be stored in the TCM to give a diagnostic direction.
The 'key-dance' may not work on this car and may show only PCM codes if it does.
You might get 'P-' fault codes in the odometer or EVIC (if equipped) display if you perform the cluster self test: Hold the trip odometer button in, then roll the ign key from off to on and then release the odo button.
The gauges and lights should do their dance and the odometer/EVIC display may show fault codes and cluster software version numbers. Have a pen and paper handy to write it down.
http://youtu.be/2mtmyl5VDFY

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're right about key dance not working on this model. Don't know if its because it is a 2000 or what. The only thing I did find out is it wasn't the speed sensors. Output or input. I think if the speedo still works when you run into this problem you're not going to get lucky and all it is is the $20 output speed sensor. Oh well, thanks for advice! A lot. It may be the solenoid but not going to even try that. Selling it. Thanks again, problem solved.

·
Super Moderator
21,369 Posts
Always diagnose first before replacing any parts. Even if you have to pay for the diagnosis, it's better than just changing parts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts