Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again,

I noticed that one of my hubcaps was loose on my 2000 Caravan Sport when I went on a trip the other day. Returning from the trip, exiting the highway dislodged it. I was able to recover it, but I see now that several clips in a row are broken. They are the sort of spirally design ones, and my mechanic commented that they're not all that durable. I've bought a new set of four (got a good price) so at least I'm stocked for when I lose one now and again. But I do still have the one with many broken clips. Anyone have any kind of homemade repair suggestions so I could maybe get some more time out of this one?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
There should also be a spring steel retainer ring to hold the clips in position tightly against the inside bead edge of the rim.
These plastic fingers get bent and broken easily when reinstalled carelessly. All the plastic fingers must be started around the circumference first before pushing the wheel cover fully on.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I had the same issue with my 2000 Sport with 16" wheels. I tried everything and gave up. Even duct tape didn't work :)

I bought a cheap set from Walmart, they rattle after a year. I have 3 original ones and one new. Our car is quite unique in the neighborhood. (The car is dark green with paint down to metal/primer on the hood and roof).

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a ring there. I suspect mine are getting broken as a result of occasional contact with the curb or the like. Alright, seems like maybe there is no trick. Too bad the clips aren't metal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts