Allpar Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a year 2000 AWD T&C and the jounce bumpers have gone bye bye. What's left is some metal plate thing the jounce bumber was originally bonded to and on top of that there is a rectangualar L bracket that is sandwitched between the frame rail and jounce bumper plate.

For the life of me I can't figure out how it comes off since I would like to install new bumbers (and I imagine the L brackets need to be replaced as well). There is no evidence of a hex bolt that might have bolted up through the center of the bumper and into the frame.

Anyone done this or know how to get em off?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
This is a common problem. If they're like mine, the jounce bumper is bolted onto the underside of the frame rail with two hex head machine screws. The cylindrical part of the bumper that's above the rubber tip actually slides over a cylindrical protrusion that's welded to the frame rail.

So you jack up the car by the rear frame rails, undo the shock absorber lower bolts, letting the axle sag down, remove the coil spring, undo the two screws (which may likely break off), then pry or cut off the remains of the jounce bumper. Slide the new one on, bolt it up, transfer the rubber spring seat to the new one, install the spring, jack up the axle enough to thread the shock absorber bolts, snug them, lower the van, then torque the shock absorber bolts the rest of the way with the weight on the ground.

But these bumpers are hard to find, and the bumper really doesn't do anything unless you hit a severe pothole. If they rot and fall off, no harm. I'd leave it be.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Yours is a pretty different setup.

I did find the answer although it's gonna be a bit*h to get em out I'm sure. Turns out the big top plate the jounce bumper was originally bonded to just screws into the bottom of the frame rail. Not really sure what the L bracket that sits between said top plate and frame rail does but that doesn't really matter at this point. You need something around 3" in diameter to grab the plate (big channel locks or chain wrap etc.) and then unscrew it. Of course it'll be rusted solid after 13 years so heat, drilling, or heat and a chisel to hammer the plate to turn are the options.

I'll try at some point but for now it's not high on the list of must do's for this 13YO van

1 - 3 of 3 Posts