Allpar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 T&C was stolen and was recovered.It has a broke lock housing.Is a 96 T&C lock housing the same? I noticed they take different lock cylinders.Thanks.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,685 Posts
Sorry to hear it was stolen.

If the part #'s are different I don't think they are the same. 1996-2000 was the same generation (Gen III), but there were some significant changes over that time frame. Not sure if the lock cylinders was one of them.

Are you referring to the door locks or ignition cylinder?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Sorry to hear that.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
I don't know about where you live, but our local pick and pull yards around here have tons of these mini-vans in the yard. A lot have missing air bags, but most have complete steering columns (with lock cylinders) and a few even have the key in them. Swapping the entire column is easy but the big caution can be the security system. If the system uses SKIM, it will be a dealer or high level locksmith requirement to get the computer re-programmed.

Do you have comprehensive insurance coverage? If so you should be covered up to the deductable.
BTW, if it was stolen and driven away, it does not likely have the security system. A SKIM system is extremely difficult to defeat.

·
Super Moderator
36,950 Posts
I don't think SKIM came on the minivans until after 2000 so that shouldn't be an issue.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,685 Posts
I don't think SKIM came on the minivans until after 2000 so that shouldn't be an issue.
Not so sure about that Mark. Our '00 T&C Ltd AWD was a higher end model (pretty much loaded with everything) and I'm pretty sure it had a factory security system on it. Though I'm not sure if it was SKIM or not. The key was grey with a fob hanging on the ring. As I recall the grey colored keys were SKIM keys. Maybe IC can confirm? I don't have the van any more so I can't check.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Our '00 T&C Ltd AWD was a higher end model (pretty much loaded with everything) and I'm pretty sure it had a factory security system on it. Though I'm not sure if it was SKIM or not.
I own a 2000 Grand Voyager and the VTSS (vehicle theft security system) was an option on that model year. When VTSS was armed the BCM (body control module) monitored the engine compartment hood, vehicle doors, and liftgate for unauthorized entry. If intrusion was detected the BCM would signal the PCM (powertrain control module) to prevent the engine from starting.

I checked the service manual and no mention is made of SKIM (sentry key immobilizer) which was associated with a fat key head and an embedded security chip. As mentioned that came in years after model year 2000.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Based on the above comments, a steering column swap could be considered. IIRC, there is a shaft connector pin at the floor, a few electrical plugs, and some nuts that come out to remove the column. It is critical to keep the steering wheel shaft from turning when R&Ring these so that you don't break the clock spring, and the battery must be disconnected to help prevent deploying the air bag.

The other option is to try and swap the entire ignition switch and key cylinder which will take a little more time to do and will likely require security torx bits.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
The service manual shows the lock cylinder housing attached to the ignition switch. You remove the upper and lower shrouds around the upper part of the steering column. That will give you access to the lock cylinder housing and ignition switch. You need tamper proof torx bits to remove the lock housing and ignition switch. Once removed separate the damaged lock housing from the ignition switch and replace the lock housing. That might be easier and less involved than replacing the entire steering column.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts