Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2001 chrysler town & country it first had 6 codes and ran terribly and smelt badly of gas. i found a stuck open injector and replaced it and the map sensor as well both had codes, codes did not clear and problem stayed. i then looked for and found burnt wires made repairs and replaced the pcm as well. now fuel injector seems fine and no gas smell but cars still having trouble staying running and when it does runs very rough jumpy, backfires if gas is romped on then tries to stall. now has 4 codes. po106, po108, p0122, and p1496 2 of which were of the original batch of codes p1496, and p0108, i cant seem to narrow it down. replcaced the coil pack twice and plugs and wires are new map sensor twice and new pcm pre programmed n updated to my vin and mileage. fixed wires in wire harrness and replaced the fuel injector and all injector o rings. so anyone have an idea or a clue of were to go next??

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
P1496 - 5 Volt Supply Output Too Low - I think this may be the source of the problem, and it's possible that the offending sensor isn't related to your codes at all.

Need to verify that there is 5V at the PCM and at the various sensors. I would also check the crank sensor, even though it's not one of the codes listed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
interestingly enough i too was thinking a wire issue that could of been missed since most of my codes are volt high or low codes. i also was thinking unrelated sensor but when scanning threw the book found so many thing i felt were related or possibly partially to blame i didnt know were to start, i dont have mechanical experience aside from using my book and doing my own stuff for the past 10 yrs or so im a 33 yr old female on disability, i do fairly well at my own fixing which is why ive been so disappointed that im failing miserably this time, everyones been urging me to junk it for 10 months now it has low mileage and im so determined now to get it running right its been a full yr since this started and 2 mechanics and 2 ex mechanic friends have failed to fix it. 1 mechanic failed to even find the stuck open injector that i found a day after getting it back from him. that amazed me i was proud of myself for a day til a new injector didnt fix it then the new computer/ pcm did but other issues stayed. i was thinking about checking the wires replacing the crank sensor and if still not right was gunna work threw the list ive created from the book, tps replacement, egr selenoid/valve, all vacuum hoses, iac, pressure regulator, dunno if these make sense

·
Super Moderator
21,363 Posts
The MAP (P0106 and P0108) and TPS (P0122) all run on the 5 volt supply from the PCM (P1496).
Solve for P1496 and it should solve all the fault codes.
The 5 volt supply is a Pk/Yl wire out of the PCM. It changes to an Or/Pk at an intermediate connector (C102) on its way to the MAP sensor. It remains a Pk/Yl wire through a harness wire splice (S116) on its way to the TPS.
It is either being pulled low to ground by a component listed in the Possible Causes below or the PCM itself isn't able to supply it because of an internal failure.
What do you measure at the sensors in the way of supply voltage?

P1496-5 VOLT SUPPLY, OUTPUT TOO LOW
When Monitored: With the ignition on.
Set Condition: The 5-volt supply to the sensors is below 3.5 volts for 4 seconds.
POSSIBLE CAUSES
INTERMITTENT CONDITION
THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR
MAP SENSOR
A/C PRESSURE SENSOR
EGR SOLENOID
5 VOLT SUPPLY SHORTED TO GROUND
PCM

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this makes sense found burnt wires friend said he repaired them but i think something was missed. im going to try to figure out how to use the tester i bought and inspect all the wires hopefully this is the issue. the colors for the wires is helpful thank you

·
Super Moderator
21,363 Posts
The 5 volts out of the PCM is low current and wouldn't have the Amperage required to burn wires, but adjacent wires melting other wires together could cause problems.
Separate the burnt wires. Repair or replace them as necessary. A salvage yard donor van and a good service manual with engine compartment wiring diagrams would be helpful to get things back the way that they were.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the burnt wires were from a clip breaking and the wire harness falling onto engine block and manifold. repair these wires already when i replaced the pcm. some issues cleared but some stayed along with the 4 codes, my assumption is i may have missed another burnt spot. gunna take a look tomorrow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts