Allpar Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Ram 3500 dually with Cummins 5.9 auto - just about 260,000 miles with no issues to date, except I took a dealer's bait and brought it in for a $39.99 Diesel oil change. After waiting for 3 hours they finally finished it up and was on my way. I ran it for a couple of days on a trip worth almost 2,000 miles. Upon my return I noticed oil pouring from the engine. I immediately checked the oil and to my surprise it was over an inch above the full mark yet. Took it to my regular dealer and they ended up replacing the camshaft cover and gasket, Also they drained the oil filter twice to get down to the full mark on dipstick.
Dealer 1 denies that over filling the engine would/could not cause that type of damage, or any damage for that matter. Their records show 12 qts added; my book and past experience says 11 qts for engine & filter. My thoughts are the mechanic accidentally added 13 qts which is the requirement for the 6.7 oil change. This would account for the amount dealer 2 drained plus what was left on the ground.
To me, the 2 qts extra oil for the 2,000 miles caused extra oil pressure to build and it took the easiest way out in what may have been a tired gasket on the cam cover.
Anyone have any thoughts?

·
KOG
6,999 Posts
No, didn't cause "extra oil pressure". Excess oil will get shipped into a foam by touching the crankshaft. This can cause low oil pressure at the same time it's trying to find any way out of the engine.

Join http://www.turbodieselregister.com/ for more information on your truck.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
You can also get increased oil blowby and oil consumption due to higher oil levels in the crankcase. Crankcase pressure will also increase because the volume of air in the crankcase is reduced, but the pistons are still displacing the same amount of air from top to bottom of their stroke. Oil pressure is regulated by a check valve on the oil pump, so anything above a certain pressure gets dumped back into the crankcase until pressure drops back into acceptable range. My theory is that the increased air pressure inside the crankcase from the high oil level combined with an increase in normal blowby gases from higher-speed driving (more power strokes per minute translates to more blowby gas going into the crankcase) blew out the seals, and then the oil had nothing keeping it from leaving. Air can flow freely from the heads to the crankcase through the oil galleries.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts