Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 dodge caravan se 3.3 flex I have a code po118 which is ect sensor my van when you first start it up in the mornings keeps cutting off until you drive it for about 6 blocks then it runs fine also when first start ups you have to keep taping the gas to keep it running but when you step down on the gas to the floor my Roms bounce from 6 to 7 instead of just going up past 7rpms will the engine coolant temperature sensor make my van do all of that or should I start looking in other areas please someone help me with this problem

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Solve for P0118- ECT voltage too high. This can be a poor or open ground in the connectors, wiring or PCM. Inspect all. It can affect more than the tmperature value reading.
I found oxidized sensor terminals on my wife's 2001 3.3L Caravan. Cleaning them eliminated P0118.
I had to remove the P/S fluid reservior and ign coil to get at the sensor.

P0118-ECT SENSOR VOLTAGE TOO HIGH

When Monitored: With the ignition on. Battery voltage greater than 10 volts.

Set Condition: The Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor circuit voltage at the PCM
is greater than 4.96 volts for more than 2.6 seconds.

POSSIBLE CAUSES:

INTERMITTENT CONDITION
ECT SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO BATTERY VOLTAGE
ECT SENSOR INTERNAL FAILURE
ECT SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN
SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN
PCM

·
Super Moderator
36,938 Posts
I've had them fail two ways.
First one failed and the fans never came on and the van overheated.
Second one failed and the van was hard to start cold and hesitated and sputtered until it warmed up.
Both these happened on the 3.3 in my 1991 Grand Voyager.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts