Allpar Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving on the highway today and suddenly my car just quit!
I had it towed home and put the scanner to it and nothing came up. It has spark. So we changed the crank sensor. And still no go. We changed the fuel pump and again nothing.
Anyone have any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
21,352 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Don't replace any more parts until you can get this diagnosed properly. Not everything will set a fault code.
By 'not coming up' on your scan tool, do you mean that the tool display is blank or it doesn't communicate with the PCM?
If it has spark, your crank sensor is fine. If you add a shot of fuel to the throttle body and crank it,does it fire up momentarily?
Does the cranking compression sound normal or possibly low compression? The timing chain/water pump may have let go if it is a mechanical problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its communicating It comes up blank.
I haven't tried giving it a squirt of fuel!
When it's turning over it sounds fine and seems like it wants to fire at first.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
this sounds to me like an Anti-Theft issue; is the color of your Key head Black or Gray?

·
Super Moderator
21,352 Posts
The VTSS usually gives a start/stall-type failure. This quit going down the road.
If the display is blank, how do you know that it is communicating? Or do you mean that there are no fault codes?

·
Registered
464 Posts
lets see if I can get the hang of this replying to those needing help,

Specifics matter- start easy.... BASICS
does the CEL come on when you try to start? we want to see that bulb.
Is there spark at several plugs?
is there 12v at injectors? KOEO

you mention changing fuel pump - what is the fuel pressure- PSI use a gauge...

As suggested - have someone spray carb or brake cleaner into throttle body as you try to start -- will it 'hit' try to start on the apray?

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Have you checked for a broken timing belt?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
chuzz said:
Have you checked for a broken timing belt?
its a 2.7 Charlie, it has Timing CHAINS. I'm starting to wonder if the ASD Relay is not closing as it should.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
digitalrailroader said:
its a 2.7 Charlie, it has Timing CHAINS. I'm starting to wonder if the ASD Relay is not closing as it should.
Thanks Patrick, I didn't realize that. I've never looked at one nor want to after reading all the horror stories of the early models having so many problems. I won't touch one with a 10 foot pole.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
chuzz said:
Thanks Patrick, I didn't realize that. I've never looked at one nor want to after reading all the horror stories of the early models having so many problems. I won't touch one with a 10 foot pole.
well Charlie, the 2.7s in the 2nd Gen Cloud Cars were a bit more reliable than the ones in the LHs, but it all really came down to Maintenance: if you changed your Oil RELIGIOUSLY and on Time, as well as Changed the Water Pump when it was time; the engine would last the life of the rest of the car. if you blew off the Maintenance; the 2.7's Design Flaws would rear their ugly head and it would go from a Powerful V6, to a noisy, Gutless, knocking, and smoking V4, and you would be out Several Thousand Dollars to replace the engine.

·
Super Moderator
36,917 Posts
If you followed the severe servie schecule and used synthetic oil you also greatly increased your chances of the engine living longer. The 2.7 wasn't one of Chrysler's finer moments. Especially since the "fixes" weren't publically discussed probbaly because it lent ammunition to those claiming a design flaw left them with a boat anchor they were still making payments on.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
I met a guy a few months ago that used to work for Chrysler. He told me that any engine that had a point 7 engine in it should be avoided!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts