Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter's 2001 I Intrepid with a 3.2 has been burning up a ground wire, the ground is G102, It goes to the PCM through connector C2 pin 47. Any help would be appreciated, I am thinking there maybe corrosion in the PCM causing this but the service manual is not very helpful.

Thanks for any help
Kevin

·
Super Moderator
32,319 Posts
Pics would help, as I'm not familiar with this car or the particular ground wire.
Sometimes tin-plated contacts will oxidize to the point where the resistance is so high, it heats up and goes into thermal runaway. Or there is simply a fault that draws that much current.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
. . . My daughter's 2001 I Intrepid with a 3.2 has been burning up a ground wire, the ground is G102, It goes to the PCM through connector C2 pin 47. Any help would be appreciated, I am thinking there maybe corrosion in the PCM causing this but the service manual is not very helpful. . . .
Look at chapter 8; diagram 8W - 15 - 6. This shows ground wires from the transmission control module and powertrain control module going to G102. The transmission controller would tend to use a higher electrical current / amperage in the circuits and through the ground when pulsing the fluid pressure solenoids to control gear shifting.

Chapter 8W - 90 references ground locations but no specific image for G102. Mention is just given of G102 being in the left headlamp area. So look for a bundle of black wires with various color tracers. Make sure each eyelet is clean and the mating body area is clean of any rust. Look at the crimp on each eyelet with its respective wire. Peel back a little insulation on each ground wire and look for hidden, green corrosion. See attached image. 2000 LH service manual should still be accurate for 2001 model.

G102 Ground Location.gif

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Are you sure it's burning up? My Radiator Fan low-speed wire was rubbed through on the plastic @ the PCM connector. I replaced the section of wire and heat-shrunk and electrical-taped the heck out of the harness in the area and it's been fine since.

·
Super Moderator
21,700 Posts
Ground connections are distributed on multiple paths, so no one conductor takes too much current. It also helps to alleviate ground-loops and electrical 'noise' that can haunt cars.
The battery cable should take the brunt of high current loads between the engine/transaxle and body and take them directly to the battery negative terminal.
Missing and open grounds can do weird things.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts