Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm happy to see there are still people posting here. My original '01 PT Ltd tuned 18 years old last week. Ordered it on the first day Chrysler allowed ordering.

Anyway, I need to replace the factory AM/FM/Cassette/CD radio. I already pulled it out and I've been scouring the auto yard web sites looking for a used replacement. But while doing so I thought I would ask if any readers here have replaced the radio with anything other than the factory unit. If so did it require any dash modification?
I'm not that big into entertainment other than usually good FM rock & roll.
Any suggestions/advice/recommendations of what can be done/not done greatly appreciated.

Thanks all and keep enjoying your PT's. I'll be driving mine until it or me dies, which ever comes first!!!

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
. . . I need to replace the factory AM/FM/Cassette/CD radio. I already pulled it out and I've been scouring the auto yard web sites looking for a used replacement. But while doing so I thought I would ask if any readers here have replaced the radio with anything other than the factory unit. If so did it require any dash modification? . . .
Chrysler started fitting electronically tuned radios in 1984 models. The same basic radio as to physical size, mounting tabs and electrical connectors was used from 1984 - 2000 ( a few exceptions). Starting in year 2001 the radio face was curved, not flat like previous models.

If you are trying to get a later, more featured radio unit that will connect to an external player or thumb drive, then I think you will have to be careful. Different physical mounting and electrical connectors will most certainly make this a challenge.

It might be easier and less costly to consider an online business that specializes in after market radio / stereo replacements for automobiles. One such firm is www.crutchfield.com. If you need adapters the vendor would have these and could guide you in specifics in getting a unit mounted and useable.

·
Super Moderator
32,264 Posts
I installed a Crutchfield replacement in my car and truck. It's a Kenwood AM/FM/CD/satellite-ready unit with front-panel USB and mini-jack. It's an incredible unit, the sound is amazing. I can carry my entire music collection of 150 albums on one 16 Gb flash drive. With an aftermarket satellite tuner connected to the radio, I have Sirius-XM music wherever I go. It was $130 for the radio, which included an adapter cable and faceplate to fit the radio in easily. The satellite tuner and interface unit were $110 total.
I also replaced the factory speakers with Cerwin Vega speakers, outstanding sound. $40 for the fronts, $89 for the rears.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I swapped OEM Mopar radios with better units in two of my cars several years ago. One was a plug-in, and one needed a different cable that I got from Mopar for about $15. Both radios were purchased from the dealer parts department. They had been pulled from new cars that had the dealer install upgraded systems. If you can find a dealer that kept some of those swapped parts, you might be able to get a new unit for a few dollars.

·
Super Moderator
37,734 Posts
Don't overlook eBay if you want a stock replacement. Not everyone is a bargain, but there can be.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well thanks for the suggestions. What I ended up doing was "go cheap". I found an already pulled 2001 radio just like mine in a junk yard (oops - auto recycler) for a whopping $29. I really liked some of the aftermarket units but honestly I cheaped out.

Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts