Allpar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to replace my fuel pump. I've seen the method where a hole is cut in the floorboard. A lot of people do not recommend that method. Problem with dropping the tank is that I have a full tank of gas. If I want to drop the tank, what is the best way to remove enough fuel from the tank?

·
Registered
196 Posts
The lines are all on top. By the time you get to them you've already had to drop the tank.
In that cut a hole method - you just lower it enough to cut the floor pan without nicking the hoses/wires.
I was really thinking I'd be doing either or - because I suspected a fuel pump problem. Thankfully in my case - it wasn't.

Cool.
Srinath.

·
Super Moderator
21,400 Posts
See chapter 14 (fuel) on p. 7 here:
http://oskin.ru/pub/chrysler-dodge/manuals/Service Manuals/2001_PT_PTCruiser/01PTE.PDF

There should be a tank drain (fig. 10) to empty the tank enough to be a manageable weight. A full tank is about 16 gallons. You want to store the fuel in approved closed containers. Be aware that exposed fuel and the fumes will be extremely flammable. Use a well-ventilated area with no nearby ignition source. Keep a class B fire extinguisher on hand if possible.
Place a floor jack with a wood board to lower the tank enough to disconnect lines. Old and cold plastic can be brittle. If a line or fitting snaps, the entire length of line should be replaced. Splicing and patching fuel line is not recommended.
The cargo floor panel is double-walled, high-strength steel and would be very difficult to cut.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ImperialCrown, thanks for the information and the service manual. I plan to wait until Saturday when it will be about 20 to 30 degrees warmer than today. Definitely will be careful with the fuel lines. Unfortunately my tank didn't have a drain next to the hose. Could be an aftermarket? It looks like I will have to remove the filler neck hose where it connects to the fuel tank as I cannot get it off the filler neck, maybe that is by design. I would expect gas to drain out upon removing the filler neck hose. I have a few approved fuel containers to hold the fuel.

I keep a fire extinguisher in my garage at all times.

I'm abandoning the cut the hole method.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
. . . Problem with dropping the tank is that I have a full tank of gas. If I want to drop the tank, what is the best way to remove enough fuel from the tank? . . .
I searched and discovered this YouTube novel way to force a siphon tube beyond the rollover valve so you can use any traditional siphon technique you desire on the fuel tank. Key is to cut a taper on the smaller plastic tubing. See time interval 2:19.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mGeb9s6yFE

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Using the same concept shown in the video, I was able to rig up a smaller tube to my Harbor Freight siphon pump. I was able to siphon out enough gas to drop the tank with less weight. As I'm dropping the tank the driver side is not going down as easy, the heat shield is hitting the exhaust. Any suggestions to get the driver side to drop down?

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Using the same concept shown in the video, I was able to rig up a smaller tube to my Harbor Freight siphon pump. I was able to siphon out enough gas to drop the tank with less weight. As I'm dropping the tank the driver side is not going down as easy, the heat shield is hitting the exhaust. Any suggestions to get the driver side to drop down?
When I replaced the fuel pump in my PT I was able to siphon some gas out. When I was dropping the tank, I had to maneuver it as I was lowering to work it past the exhaust. I had disconnected the filler hose and wasn't careful enough as I was moving the tank around and some gas sloshed out the opening. But it wasn't bad. Assembly went a lot easier for me.

·
Super Moderator
21,400 Posts
The exhaust is suspended with rubber hangers. A shot of silicone spray on the hooks and a prybar to release them, then you can push the exhaust system out of your way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts