Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a new clutch put in about 2 years ago, and the clutch is working fine. Was driving home a few days ago, made a right turn into the drive way, downshifted, engine revved but there was nothing there. Did some research, bought new bushings which tightened up the stick a little but still when I try and shift into any gear the clutch is doing its thing but it's still not going into gear. It was literally fine one second and the next no transmission.
What might cause a transmission to just stop working like that? I have to admit I have a love / hate relationship with this car, which I have owned for 7 years, but keep having to sink money into. The car stays parked in the garage and absolutely no evidence of a fluid leak.
Time to let it go?

·
Virginia Gentleman
16,283 Posts
Only thing I can think to check would be the linkage. If it is not engaging any gears, I'm thinking it really isn't going into gear (though it may feel like it) and the linkage may be broken or disconnected somehow.

I had 1st gear go out on a '82 Omni (4 speed manual) I had many years ago. When I put it in 1st gear and let the clutch out it would just bog down and not go. All the other gears were fine. In my case, the linkage was fine, but 1st gear was shot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Doug D. In my case all gears and reverse got nothing. Tracked the linkage under the air filter and it was all working to there, but the one on the left facing the front of the car disappears into the transmission and maybe it's broken at an internal spot.

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
. . . .I had a new clutch put in about 2 years ago, and the clutch is working fine. Was driving home a few days ago, made a right turn into the drive way, downshifted, engine revved but there was nothing there. Did some research, bought new bushings which tightened up the stick a little but still when I try and shift into any gear the clutch is doing its thing but it's still not going into gear. It was literally fine one second and the next no transmission. . . . .
You did not indicate the specific engine in your car as there are 2 different manual transmissions for PT Cruiser. See attached image. Do you have the shift pattern shown in the image?

Check to make sure cables are secured properly in the bracket. Have a helper move the cabin shift lever through all gear positions. Do the lever arms on the transmission move?

Font Parallel Auto part Circle Diagram

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
24,231 Posts
How can you tell the if clutch is working? A total transaxle failure is rare. Does the speedometer register speed?
If you were turning when this happened, did a CV shaft detach from the diff side gear splines?

Reactions: multimopes

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You did not indicate the specific engine in your car as there are 2 different manual transmissions for PT Cruiser. See attached image. Do you have the shift pattern shown in the image?

Check to make sure cables are secured properly in the bracket. Have a helper move the cabin shift lever through all gear positions. Do the lever arms on the transmission move?

View attachment 87179

View attachment 87179
Those match my car. Will check the brackets later today. Thanks

·
Registered
9,425 Posts
You say you replaced the bushings but which ones did you replace. Have you removed the console and checked under it for connection to the shifter? If not, I'd suggest you check the cables there.

Reactions: multimopes

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Don't know about the cv shaft. I haven't noticed any leaking fluid. The speedometer was working prior to the problem occurring but since I was in the driveway I did
It appears that the locking clips that secure the outer cable sheath to a bracket on the transmission are missing. See attached image.

View attachment 87195
Thanks AllanC . At least that should be a cheap thing to try.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It has been suggested that the problem here is with the throwout bearing, which makes sense. I understand that the clutch isn't re-setting after being pushed in so the effect is like having the clutch in.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
24,231 Posts
The clutch is hydraulically-actuated with a master & slave cylinder. Any leaks (master reservoir full?) or 'strange' pedal feel since it quit?
Sometimes you can hear gears spinning with the clutch engaged in Neutral and the 'noise' goes away with the pedal pushed down.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fluid levels were fine. Just after it happened I did hear a strange whirring noise that was quiet and didn't last long but at that point the clutch never engaged the transmission, so I just rolled it down the drive way and pushed it into the garage.
At this point not worth fixing.

·
Virginia Gentleman
16,283 Posts
I've been following this thread. And it occurred to me my daughter's Mazda had similar issues. This was about 10-12 years ago. She had a Mazda with a 5-speed manual. I forget which model. Anyway, six months after she bought it, it suddenly had no drive, even when the clutch was let out. Had it towed to a buddy's shop. I don't recall what the actual diagnosis was. The clutch, throw-out bearing and pressure plate would have to be replaced. I think it was the throw-out bearing that ultimately failed.

The car was only worth $500 and it would have been $700 at the time to install new parts. Point here is the transmission was fine, but the throw-out bearing or clutch was toast.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've been following this thread. And it occurred to me my daughter's Mazda had similar issues. This was about 10-12 years ago. She had a Mazda with a 5-speed manual. I forget which model. Anyway, six months after she bought it, it suddenly had no drive, even when the clutch was let out. Had it towed to a buddy's shop. I don't recall what the actual diagnosis was. The clutch, throw-out bearing and pressure plate would have to be replaced. I think it was the throw-out bearing that ultimately failed.

The car was only worth $500 and it would have been $700 at the time to install new parts. Point here is the transmission was fine, but the throw-out bearing or clutch was toast.
Thanks for the post. I believe that's what I'm looking at. :cry:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts