Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 T&C 3.8 Front/Rear A.C. Maximum Cool Discharge Temp?

While my automatic temperature control front and rear A.C. does work, the lowest discharge temp I seem to get at the vents is around 60 degrees. My older Mopar minivans seemed to cool the air down (max cooling) in the mid forties (If memory services me well.).
What is lowest max cooling degrees should be I getting at idle and/or driving speeds?

Also, my shade tree mechanic tells me that the dryer is bad and that the system needs to be drained, the new dryer installed, brought to vacuum and then refilled. Will this "Cure" significantly reduce my air vent discharge A.C. temps and speed up the time it takes to get the van down to the automatic temperature setting?

Any/All suggestions are welcomed!

Poor Paul

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,967 Posts
I would recommend having the AC system checked by a qualified mechanic. Sounds like the Freon is low which could mean there is a leak.

I am not well versed in HVAC systems, but as I understand it, yes the temperature at the vent should be around 45 F or so depending on what the outside ambient temperature is.

·
Super Moderator
32,250 Posts
What outside temperature are you at when you get 60 degrees vent temperature? And are you measuring with a vent thermometer, or just guessing?
Were your older vans R-12 refrigerant, and did they have both front and rear cooling?

How did your shade tree mechanic determine that the drier is bad?
If the pressure is low, it usually indicates a leak, and then that must be fixed, the drier replaced, the system evacuated and refilled. But driers don't just go bad by themselves.

Reactions: Doug D

·
Super Moderator
21,621 Posts
The proper A/C performance test is in the service manual chapter 24. See p. 24-7 here:
http://oskin.ru/pub/chrysler-dodge/...ger_Diagnostic_Diesel_Version_Incl/EGS_24.PDF
The chart shows that an outlet temp of 60°F (15°C) would be acceptable at an ambient temp of 110°F (43°C) at the suction/discharge pressures listed.
The A/C system is a closed system. If the charge is low, you do have a leak. Diagnose first.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts