Allpar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at this Dakota but have no idea about the reliability of this engine/trans combination.
Any input on it would be appreciated. It's real clean and has 103,000 miles on it.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
Drive it for any unusual noises or vibrations. Should be strong, smooth and shift nicely.
Ask about maintainence, having records are a bonus.
Look for signs of abuse.
Trust your senses when talking to the guy. Don't let him mis-represent the vehicle.
Consider the deal if the asking price for what it is seems to be fair.
Do you really need a truck? Expect around 15 mpg overall.

·
Super Moderator
36,935 Posts
If it's an R/T it should have a 5.9 engine, not a 4.7. So something is wrong there. It wasn't until years later the R/T used the 4.7. The 5.9 R/T loves to guzzle gas. I have one and I love it but it drinks gas.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
valiant67- In my limited research on the R/T I did note that all discussions were in reference to the 5.9L engine and not the 4.7L.
I wonder if somebody just placed an R/T decal on the tailgate. I checked the VIN number and the engine is a 4.7L based on the VIN.
The confusion arises from the fact that the VIN number position for the model does not differentiate. The same diget denotes "Sport" or "R/T".
Any ideas on where to go to verify the model? Could this just be a Dakota Sport in wolfs clothing? There are none of the Sport emblems on this truck and it shows no signs of a repaint. I have never encountered this sort of thing. Would running a CarFax check clear this up?

·
Super Moderator
36,935 Posts
The R/T is based on the Sport and I think the only way to ID an R/T from the VIN is the 5.9 code. You'd need a dealer to run a report from the VIN rather than a carfax. The Sport emblems are decals and pretty easy to remove without harming the paint.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup. I'm going to run it through the dealer. I ran a carfax and found the original dealership that sold it. Will get on the phone to them on Monday.
Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

·
Registered
844 Posts
A number of people throw "R/T" stickers on cars that really aren't an R/T, just like Chevy owners will do with "SS". A neighbor had an '00-'04 Quad Cab Dakota with door decals reading "Dakota Sport 5.9 R/T 4x4"... when R/T's were neither Quad Cabs nor 4x4's. Another neighbor added "5.9 R/T" beside the door badges on their '98-'01 longbox extended-cab 3/4 ton 4x4 Ram for some reason.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I sent an email with the VIN to the dealer that sold it new in 2001, and to my surprise they got right back to me!!!! On a Sunday!!!!!!
It turns out that it is indeed a Dakota Sport that was altered to look like an R/T.
My hat is off to Auburn Chrysler Dodge Jeep in Auburn Indiana, Absolutly 5 star service! WOW! and WOW!

Now the next question. Is it worth $6900.00? NADA retail says $8400 for an R/T of this vintage, in this condition.
Would I have any leverage with the sales guy if I advised that he did not have an R/T? Hmmmmmmmmmm.
The wheels are turn'in.

·
Super Moderator
36,935 Posts
I would price it as a 2002 Sport and add a few hundred if it has the 17" factory R/T wheels on it because they are worth a little bit.
It likely won't have the R/T rear axle with 3.9 Sure Grip gears and probably doesn't have any R/T suspension upgrades.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the input on this topic. I decided to buy. And am happy with the vehicle as it is. And I guess the need for speed is waning as I get on in years. Plus I've had enough speeding tickets. :cop:

·
Registered
699 Posts
I sent an email with the VIN to the dealer that sold it new in 2001, and to my surprise they got right back to me!!!! On a Sunday!!!!!!
It turns out that it is indeed a Dakota Sport that was altered to look like an R/T.
My hat is off to Auburn Chrysler Dodge Jeep in Auburn Indiana, Absolutly 5 star service! WOW! and WOW!

Now the next question. Is it worth $6900.00? NADA retail says $8400 for an R/T of this vintage, in this condition.
Would I have any leverage with the sales guy if I advised that he did not have an R/T? Hmmmmmmmmmm.
The wheels are turn'in.
I don't think its worth that kind of money. I paid $9100 this past February, about $2200 more for an 06 Dakota club cab 4x4, 3.7 auto with 45000 on the clock. I found it on autotrader.com, and no sales tax bought from a private party.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought a used Dakota R/T in 2003. A nice mid-life crisis vehicle. I thought I would keep it for a few years and than get something else. I still have it and it's still fun to drive but the R/T suspension is unforgiving. My back,not so much any more. Perhaps a used SRT8 Magnum next year might be nice.Enjoy the Dak.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts