Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put a new Timken wheel bearing/hub on the right front and put new brakes pads on the front. Everything looked and seemed normal and torqued to spec. Car has 187000 miles.

Now I am getting some rubber rubbing sounds when turning at low speeds and quite a bit of steering wheel shake when braking a high speeds (50 MPH and up). It does NOT pull or wander or make any noises.

I had neither issues before i put the new parts on.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
21,352 Posts
Maybe a smudge of something was deposited on the pad/rotor braking surface? Take it apart and clean the hub/rotor contact area as any rust or dirt here can prevent the rotor sitting flat against the hub and make the rotor wobble.
Usually brake rotors are replaced with a fresh set of pads.

·
Super Moderator
31,982 Posts
+1. NEVER replace pads without new or reconditioned rotors.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm not sure about the rubber rubbing, but I do know that out of round rotors cause steering wheel shake. A local service station will usually turn (flatten by grind rotors) for $10-15.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Sounds as if the rotors may be warped. I would suggest replacing them as rotors today are too thin to be cut (weight reduction).
Many cars are very sensitive to the wheel lugs being torqued evenly and to spec (yes, I did note you mentioned this, just want
to re-iterate to any readers).

Hope this helps,

Gerry G.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Was it doing this before you replaced the bearing and pads? If not, it's got to be one of the two. And did you just replace the pads on the right side or do both sides? If you only replaced the right side pads, you need to do both. But, it does sound like a rotor problem to me too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts