Allpar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
41TE four speed auto in 02 Neon....I have posted here before about it...

Had been going into limp mode and giving codes pertaining to tcm, transmission relay, solenoid, etc.

Problem would only occur during rainfall.

I tried several times, cleaning and reconnecting all connectors in solenoid pack, PCM, and most recently the TCM.

I thought I had found the problem when I discovered major corrosion on and around the TCM. I also constructed a water shield over and in fron of the TCM to keep it dry.

I ordered a reman TCM from Auto Computer Exchange, Davie, FL, and they programmed it to the car's VIN and mileage. Installed it last night, test drove in neighborhood, and car shifted into all four gears, so I thought it was ok. Wife gets in car this morning, and after a couple of normal shift patterns, it goest back into limp mode. CEL is on again. Also, the shift from first to second is delayed and abrupt. I called Auto Computer Exchange, and they say this sounds more like a solenoid pack issue, but they are sending me another TCM to try.

Thoughts? This is really getting old, and wife has lost all confidence in her car!

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's what I'm thinking, as I also swapped relays, and that did not help. I just hate to throw more parts at it, but the pack is the last part involved, I suppose.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pulled the solenoid pack off, and ordered a rebuild kit for it. It will be here in a few days, and I'll rebuild the pack and upddate. Hope this fixes it.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have looked at the wiring going into the fuse/relay bank and all looks good. I don't see anything that looks like a problem. I had also swapped ETAX relays with a known good one. I haven't had the codes scanned since that first time, however.

·
Super Moderator
31,984 Posts
Wasn't this the car in a collision awhile back? Might want to check the wiring to the TCM and solenoid pack in case it was damaged.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, it was, Bob. You may have seen the pics on FB. The TCM is behind the RF bumper cover. I have checked the wires, but will do so again, with a bit more of a "magnifying glass". A wiring issue would tie in to the relay fault I am getting, I suppose, which is what Imperial is suggesting.

Thanks much to all of you. I'll update. I really thought I had this solved when I discovered all the moisture and corrosion on the original TCM...

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Checked the wiring to the TCM thoroughly, and no signs of damage to it at all. The tcm group of wires runs behind the bumper cover, and the collision damage was above this area also. Checked the wiring to the solenoid pack and it also looks fine. Again checked the Etax fuse, and it is good and tight. Sprayed contact cleaner in the tcm connector again. I just cannot find anything wrong. No codes are being given now, because I must have cleared them with my latest battery disconnect.

The tcm rebuild people are sending me another reman tcm, and I'll see what that does when it gets here.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tested my solenoid pack on the ohmeter and it checks out ok. Will dig deep into the 0888 fault code with the test light and ohmmeter today. Sure hope I find something...I am now the proud new owner of a solenoid pack rebuild kit...that I don't need.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts