Allpar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
H
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a 2002 pt cruiser thurs it starting acting like running outta gas so got stopped side road and cad converter on fire put it out before caused any damage at all. luck there. anyway cut it off ran a straight pipe in its place still acting crazy so ran pressure ck and it is got good pressure to fuel pump when motor hot or cold. did a ck it said cam poss sensor bad I put a new one on it. still same then I cleared computer out read top o2 sensor so I replaced it and now says needs a crankshaft sensor. any ideas at all .bec ause I think the sensor is fine think its just goin to read something different every time and not fix issue. can let it set and idea . sets and runs fine but when put in gear and try to drive it after it heats up again it acts like starving for gas and only way to keep running is to fan the gas pedal . any ideas at all

got a 2002 pt cruiser thurs it starting acting like running outta gas so got stopped side road and cad converter on fire put it out before caused any damage at all. luck there. anyway cut it off ran a straight pipe in its place still acting crazy so ran pressure ck and it is got good pressure to fuel pump when motor hot or cold. did a ck it said cam poss sensor bad I put a new one on it. still same then I cleared computer out read top o2 sensor so I replaced it and now says needs a crankshaft sensor. any ideas at all .bec ause I think the sensor is fine think its just goin to read something different every time and not fix issue. can let it set and idea . sets and runs fine but when put in gear and try to drive it after it heats up again it acts like starving for gas and only way to keep running is to fan the gas pedal . any ideas at all

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. The car won't run right at all and will set O2 and cat codes without a cat.
Find an inexpensive aftermarket 'direct fit' cat and install it.
If there are running problems after that, we can diagnose them once the cat is done.
Cam and crank sensor codes can be set by a jumped timing belt. Any history of that having been replaced?
It would tell us more knowing the actual 'P' code instead of the code description. There can be 4 or 5 different cam and crank codes.
How are the plugs and wires?

H
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
plugs and wires all good. after I replaced the oxy sensor drove around parking lot and after heating up did same. other than now its popping and missing like when reeving it up . so left set over night went back tried to get it running now won't start at all. so did the key code thing and it came up with totally different codes this time around. now its reading a p351 and p352. also every other time or so it will read p1391. and p1684. after looking up in book the p1684 is nothing . all it is telling you that battery been disconnected within last 50 starts. p 351 is ignition coil A primary or secondary circuit malfunction p352 is ignition coil B primary or secondary circuit malfunction . AND P1391 INTERMITTENT LOSS OF CMP OR CKP

H
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well I replaced the coil pack because acted like not getting fire. still doing same thing.if I pour water over the straight pipe that's in place of the Cadillac converter . it will start and ideal fine. buit when you drive it and warms back up it dies unless you fan the gas pedal to keep it going. then after it cools down runs again for mile or so .plz help not loving Chrysler much at this point.

H
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well I replaced the coil pack because acted like not getting fire. still doing same thing.if I pour water over the straight pipe that's in place of the Cadillac converter . it will start and ideal fine. buit when you drive it and warms back up it dies unless you fan the gas pedal to keep it going. then after it cools down runs again for mile or so .plz help not loving Chrysler much at this point.

·
Super Moderator
31,984 Posts
http://www.allpar.com/fix/computer-codes.html

P0351 - P0358 - Coil is not reaching peak current at the right time (last digit is coil number, e.g. P0353 = coil #3)
  • P1391 - Intermittent loss of camshaft position sensor or crankshaft position sensor
    • Rich pointed out that possibilities include a dead or badly installed camshaft position sensor; valve timing out of spec; sensor relearning required with a scan tool; or a damaged tone wheel or pulse ring. ImperialCrown wrote that the cam position is used mainly to synchronize fuel injectors, the crank position is needed to know when to spark. A good scan tool can usually pick up the problem by monitoring the sensors; a bad one will sometimes get “lost.” Timing chain and water pump sensors can cause the code to be set (if timing marks are out of range). The 2.4 engine was known for going through cam sensors for a while (see cam sensor replacement steps)
The catcon catching fire is a sign of running way too rich. The subesequent oxygen sensor code was undoubtedly caused by the removal of the catcon, because without a catcon, the upstream and downstream sensors will read the same, and that trips a code that suggests the upstream O2 sensor is bad. So you probably replaced that for no good reason.

Something is still making the car run rich. Since you replaced the coil packs, it's unlikely (but still possible) that the new coil packs are bad. More likely, they are not being fired properly, so unburned gas is going through. This is probably because of the intermittent crank/cam sensor, which causes the coils not to fire all the time.

It pays to think out the logic of the codes presented and what system controls what, before replacing parts. In this case, I'd suspect the crank or cam sensor causing the other cascading codes. Without proper sensor operation, the coils didn't fire properly (which tripped false codes), the catcon overheated from the raw gas, you removed it (which tripped a false O2 sensor code).

Focus again on the crank and cam sensors to resolve this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
if you replaced the cam position sensor with the cheap one from napa it will go bad quickly. The dealer where we got our PT replaced the sensor with the 6 dollar one from napa and within two weeks it went bad and tripped the code. I replaced it with one from orielys with a lifetime waranty (dont like the dealers 'round here much) and have had no problems over the last 5 months. Imperial and Bob have a valid point, until the cat is installed with the second o2 sensor it's not going to run right.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
Need to stop replacing parts and get back to some diagnosis.
If things are put back the way they were, it may guide us in the right direction.
If the ignition key was on while the coil pack or cam and crank sensors were disconnected, it could set P0351/P0352/P1391.
Popping through the exhaust could be rich or retarded timing. Popping through the intake could be lean or advanced timing.
Check the plug tips for color. Black, wet tips would indicate rich running.
Mixture will not be correct without a cat. You kind of need to start here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
OP. When you replaced the Camshaft sensor did you use OEM Mopar? or a aftermarket. PT's are notoriously terrible with aftermarket sensors. If you didnt get the MOPAR........get the mopar :-D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts