Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've got a 2002 PT Limited Edition Woodywagon in the family that needs tires. Any suggestions on what to get? It has the stock chrome wheels that came with the car and we're running Coopers on it now and they've been so-so. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated! Thank you!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mine is definitely a "for what it's worth."

I have Cooper Zeons on an 06 I just bought. I have noise that may be the tires, or possibly bearings. Will watch. I had Coopers on front of an 05 Crossfire bought two years ago. Terrible noise. Since I didn't need super traction at 150+, I replaced the Crossfire tires with Continental Extreme Contacts. Feel is great at any logical speed, and the road noise is gone. My driver is a 99 Neon, and about a year ago I put Continentals on it as well. I have been equally pleased. Good characteristics, reasonable price.

These were the first Continentals I've bought, at least that I can remember, and I'm probably a convert now.

Lots of info on these tires on Tire Rack. Good luck!

Michael

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
I put a set of Futuras from Pep Boys on about 6 months ago. US made and $58/tire. So far they are a pretty good tire for the price,

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your responses. As luck would have it, I'm running Coopers on my Satellite and I think I blew a belt the other day, so I think I may be in line for getting that one new shoes as well.

I've seen the Continentials mentioned on other forums, along with the Futuras, so I'll look into those. You go on some of those sites and they don't say much pertaining to a particular vehicle, which I can understand. But it is nice to hear what somebody else thinks, especially when they have the same vehicle, so you can get a better idea of wear, durability and whatnot.

Everyone is always so nice and helpful on here - thanks again!

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
I have Goodyear Viva Authority tires on my PT as well as my wife's. They are pretty good, low noise, wear well, and have good wet weather traction. Have used Coopers, but wasn't too happy with them. Walmart sells Douglas Tires, and they aren't bad for the price.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm on my 3rd set of Sumitomo HTR All Season in size 225/50-16. These are a wider, lower profile tire that fit well on the stock wheels (I too have the stock chrome 16" wheels). The handling, ride and quietness are outstanding. I read about this tire on one of the original pt forums and haven't turned back. As they say "if it ain't broken".

Tire rack has them for $85/each. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
LoveMyPlymouth said:
02 PT Woodywagon LTD in the family that needs tires. Any suggestions on what to get? It has the stock chrome wheels that came with the car and we're running Coopers on it now and they've been so-so. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated! Thank you!
Our 01 LTD Edition PT also had the stocl chromed aluminum wheels.
They look great. They may not be.

I took PT for new tires. Terrible shake and bad handling, felt like broken belts.
Came to discover the wheels themselves were bent which accoubted for the poor handling.

Look to the wheels, too.
Depends on climate, road condition, seasons ("construction" & "winter"), but the aluminum-chromed wheels may be part of your problem.

I went to low-profile wheels for a few years and got tired of dodging the holes in our local roads.
I've gone back to 15" steelies with 1-piece chrome smoothie hubcaps.

Petey

1 - 7 of 7 Posts