Allpar Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my daughter a 02 Ram 1500 with the 215 hp 3.7 engine and auto. It has a HD cooling system with external trans and oil or PS coolers, and rear discs. Runs and drives great. Any particulars to watch for on these? Ya know, weird failing ball joints, oiling issues in the engine or anything like that? She loves it and took all of about two hours of ownership before putting Ed Hardy seat covers, steering wheel cover, floormats and air fresheners. LOL Ahh, a girls first truck. It "only" has 195K on it. LOL. Surprising amount of power, but she really is a gentle and economical driver. I think it would ALMOST keep up with my 95 Ram 5.2 to be quite honest. I am about to put rear pads on it.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
Any drivetrain fluid maintenance history from the previous owner? You may have the heavy-duty 45RFE or standard 42RLE transmission. Use ATF+4. The power steering flush would also be ATF+4.
Flushing the brake system with fresh fluid may also be a good idea if you can break the bleeder screws free.
The differential might also like a synthetic hypoid change and magnet/pan wipe.
Coolant should be the orange HOAT. It's usually good for every 5 years.
Lower ball joints could be worn. Uppers held out better as they really weren't load bearing components. Tie rods/rack should also have no side-to-side play.
The correct spark plug to use is listed on the underhood sticker and could be Champion or NGK. There are 100K mile platinum replacements, but the 30K mile coppers are recommended and may offer a better burn.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts