Allpar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Town & Country. I replaced the plugs at 100k and the wires about 2 weeks ago. This morning the van started ran for about 2 seconds and then shut off (just like i turned the key off).

It is turning over good but it will not start. I pulled a plug out to see if i was getting spark and i was. My next thought is the fuel pump, would they just fail like that? Can i test it by shooting some starting fluid into the intake (not sure if that works with fuel injected cars).

·
Registered
292 Posts
does it have factory security alarm? if it does is the security light in the dash light up? have you tried cycling the key on and off to cycle the fuel pump a few times to 'prime' the system?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
does it have factory security alarm? if it does is the security light in the dash light up? have you tried cycling the key on and off to cycle the fuel pump a few times to 'prime' the system?
Thanks for the response, not sure about the alarm (it is the limited T&C), i will try the key on and off thing. What about using starting fluid, should it run a few seconds if i spray that in there.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Yes you can test by shooting starting fluid in the intake on FI cars...

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
It does sound like the security system shutdown the engine, but you should still check fuel pressure just in case the fuel pump is failing. There should be a test port on the fuel rail to connect up a fuel pressure gauge. Do you have a scanner to check for basic codes?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of the replies, the van started this morning and seems to be running fine. Maybe it was just a security system shutdown. Any tips of what would have triggered it.

U

·
0 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
you might have disconnected something when working on it or maybe just bumped it just hard enough or in the right place, did you remember to disconnect the negative battery cable? that should prevent your alarm from freaking out :)

·
What sanity?
3,705 Posts
Does the van have the sentry key system? I've seen that module fail with bad solder joints and cause this. Dad's last van was a 2002 Caravan with this same problem. He'd have to wiggle the wires under the steering column at times to get the van to start. Eventually nothing worked.

I brought the SKIM module down to my electronics workbench, ran the hot air on my SMD rework station over both sides of the circuit board, and re-installed. The van never had another starting problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts