Allpar Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. First post and probably first and last pt. It's a 2003 pt cruiser gt. 2.3 liter turbo. Recently the engine mounts dropped and the cv joints snagged and tore apart. After I finally finally figured out why I couldn't remove the cv (cause the engine was in the wrong place) I got it out and put in a new one after all said and done I drove it on a test and there was still a clunk. After talking to a few people I've come to the conclusion of a chipped tooth in the differential... does that sound right? Well if it does. One thing I haven't been able to figure out is can I use a dif from a basic pt or a touring or something like that rather than having to come up with a gt one? I ask because base cruisers are a dime a dozen in our wreckers but I can't find a gt anywhere. Please bring me knowledge.

·
Super Moderator
21,398 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. It would be difficult for a drive axle issue to chip a differential tooth.
Did the axle lose the retainer clip inside the transaxle? A chipped differential tooth would make a cyclic click or clunk at every one revolution of the tire. Is this what you are experiencing?
Is this automatic or manual?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts