Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello felow MOPAR devotees.

Looked @ a used 138k Voyager today at a scrubby little curbside dealer today, asking 1900.00$ !!!!

Took it out for a drive , A/C is dead ,, steering is Ok ,not super tight.

Shifting is good , but Engine ,to my surprise when Poppped open the Hood , a 2,4 Litre 4 banger.

Heard some sort of rattling sound ,, wonder if it was from being Low on gas(almost empty tank) or a worn alternator, or a/c compressor???

What is the reputation of Mileage on a 2.4 engine ,etc.

I also took a spin in a 3.3 Caravan like my daily driver , not as maintained as the one I got from my Brother ,bragging I am!!!!

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,685 Posts
If the "rattle" was similar to marbles shaken in a coffee can and seeming to come from the AC compressor, I'd suspect a cracked flexplate. (Don't ask how I know).

Fuel mileage for the 2.4L's in the minivan's was just a mile or two better than the 3.3L V6. Might be okay for commuting, but if you have to haul a sizable load of persons and/or cargo on a consistent basis, I'd pass on it and find a minivan with a V6.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
You sure the rattling is from the engine and not a loose heat shield on the exhaust somewhere?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Worn AC comp clutches and idle pulleys make a lot of noise.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
My sons 2.4 mini is noisy, especially when first started up. It quiets a bit when warmed up. That suggests hydraulic lifters not getting full oil pressure in my mind, but I never got involved with diagnosing it. He paid $100 for it and has put over a 100,000 miles on it. The odometer is reading over 300,000 miles. Supposedly the engine was replaced once in the lifetime of the vehicle, but before he bought it.

He is at the point where he says he'll junk the vehicle if something happens to the engine... yet it keeps going and gets him around town. :). I think the noise is just irritating.

History: http://www.allpar.com/forums/topic/107713-my-sons-100-minivan/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts