Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started with an intermittent problem where my Cruiser would not crank, not even a tic, tic, tic, tic. Then it became permanent.

I have confirmed the starter is working by jumpering the 2 pins in the starter relay socket.

I have totally disassembled the ignition switch but did not find anything broken or out of the ordinary. Furthermore, I have validated that the yellow wire on the starter relay socket is getting power when I turn the key in the ignition to start.

I can also hear the headlamp relay kick in to turn the off on starting.

I have tested and validated that the starter relay is working by 1) testing it on a bench with an ohm meter and 12 volt source, and 2) by swapping it with other relays.

I concluded that the issue was the PCM. I was getting a lot of error codes that all ended in "or PCM may have failed". I just got a reprogrammed used PCM that appears to be fine. All my error messages have gone away after powering it up and trying to start it a few times except one that relates to my low speed fan that I was previously aware of but did not interfere with the engine starting.

But the car still will not turn over.

Anyone have any other thoughts that may be preventing the starter from getting power that I have not tried?

·
Super Moderator
32,052 Posts
Do you have a security system?

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
You have been very thorough in your checks that you have made. When you replaced the PCM has it been programmed for all the modules in the vehicle? I believe by year 2003 all Chrysler vehicles had the sentry key immobilizer system installed. This uses an embedded chip within the head of the key. It transmits a unique code to the PCM and it must be preprogrammed to match or the security system will not allow the starter to operate. There should be a red light that illuminates when the ignition key switch is turn to the ON / RUN position. If it stays ON constantly then there is a security issue with the ignition key.

If the security system has been updated and there is no constant security lamp illuminated in the instrument panel, check the clutch pedal position switch under the dash and located on the clutch pedal arm. It provides a ground circuit signal to the PCM when the pedal is depressed. See attached image.

Starter Control Circuit.gif

·
Super Moderator
37,275 Posts
I had a car (2007 Dodge Magnum) that occasionally would not start. I don't know how I eventually found the issue (i had the full service manual wiring diagrams, but I'm not an expert with them), but in tracing the wires, I found if I wiggled the wiring at the computer connection, I could hear a relay click and then I could start the car.

I assumed it was the wiring connector, but it wasn't. It was the computer and a new (reman) computer fixed it. I'd have never found the issue without the wiring diagrams.

·
Super Moderator
21,401 Posts
The factory VTS security system will allow the starter to crank and it will fire up briefly for a second or two, then stall.
An aftermarket security system could behave differently and not allow cranking.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
If you ordered a rebuilt/refurbished/reflashed PCM from a reputable source, then you should not need to worry about the VTSS/SKIM (security) systems, as they would have been "reset" as part of the reflashing and they would be ready to accept the message/code from the SKIM module, but...

If you bought a used PCM, you almost certainly have a SKIM-related issue.

Also, if you start or attempt to start a car in which there is a SKIM mismatch 3 times, the system locks out the ignition system for a period of 1 hour (or more). The lock out can be cleared by leaving the key in the ON position for an hour; the battery cannot be allowed to die during this period, so a charger is required.

If you were able to start (or attempted to start) the vehicle 3 times before this issue occurred, you most certainly have a SKIM-related issue.

- - -

Also, let's clear up some terms:

"Crank" is used to denote the engine being spun, usually by the starter motor.
"Start" means the engine begins to run on it's own.
"Turn Over" is ambiguous; sometimes this is said when a "start" has occurred, sometime it is used when the engine is only "cranking". What do you mean when you say turn over?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Just realizing this is a manual car - make sure you have a good working/adjusted clutch safety switch. That would also prevent the car from cranking.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You have been very thorough in your checks that you have made. When you replaced the PCM has it been programmed for all the modules in the vehicle? I believe by year 2003 all Chrysler vehicles had the sentry key immobilizer system installed. This uses an embedded chip within the head of the key. It transmits a unique code to the PCM and it must be preprogrammed to match or the security system will not allow the starter to operate. There should be a red light that illuminates when the ignition key switch is turn to the ON / RUN position. If it stays ON constantly then there is a security issue with the ignition key.

If the security system has been updated and there is no constant security lamp illuminated in the instrument panel, check the clutch pedal position switch under the dash and located on the clutch pedal arm. It provides a ground circuit signal to the PCM when the pedal is depressed. See attached image.

View attachment 26247
Alan, Thank you very much for reminding me that I have to step on the Clutch to start the car. Boy, do I feel stupid!! I did have have a bad PCM but my Cruiser is working again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts