Allpar Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 limited with an auto trans and about 112k. I stopped at a stop sign and when i went to take off it was like it was in neutral. I thought I had bumped the shifter so I pulled it down into low and it went and I put it back in drive and everything seemed ok until I slowed to make a turn and it went away again and this time putting it in low didnt help. I coasted into a parking lot and checked the fluid, it was full and the fluid looked clean and clear no burnt smell. It would not go forward or reverse so I shut it off and restarted it and it went into reverse and drive. I took off again and as long as i was accelerating it was fine but as soon as i let off the gas it was back to neutral. Each time I would have to stop and shut it off and restart it to get it to go. The check engine light hasn't came on. Is it a solenoid problem or maybe the PCM?

·
Super Moderator
21,352 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Has it had any transaxle filter/fluid service in recent history? Dropping the pan to replace the filter and looking for trouble might be a good place to start. Use ATF+4 only.
The TCM may be storing a fault code that would be seoarate from the PCM.

·
Super Moderator
21,352 Posts
Slipping is bad. Was the filter changed or was it a flush? Does the parts/service receipt happen to state that ATF+4 was used?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I cleared the codes and drove the car again and all came back. I had to stop and restart one time to get back home. The fact that I can turn it off and restart it and all the gears work leads me to believe it is something electrical also when I have to stop I can hear a light buzzing sound until I put it in park

·
Super Moderator
21,352 Posts
Does the buzzing sound stay at a constant pitch, or does it rise and fall with engine speed?
Even without electrical you should still have 2nd gear and reverse, not neutral.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Speed sensor? I know this is a more "up to date trans". Had issues with an A604 2 years ago doing almost the same exact thing, was a speed sensor.

·
Super Moderator
21,352 Posts
Buzzing may be relay or solenoid noises. See if you can locate the source. It may be a connector or wiring issue. The EATX relay drives the solenoids and TCM.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I pulled the pan tonight and everything was fairly clean. The magnet was a little fuzzy and there were a few shavings in the pan but not what i would think to be an excessive amount.

·
Super Moderator
21,352 Posts
Strange that the input speed sensor (P0715) wasn't one of your fault codes. Gear ratio error fault codes for 2nd (P0732) and reverse (P0736) could only be hydraulic or mechanical problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts