Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2003 T&C has had an off and on fuel smell. Not a heavy smell but definitely smells like fresh gas.

Kinda intermittent and more noticeable when sitting at a traffic light it seems to come from the vents.

Sometimes when you get out of the van and walk by the passenger front you can also get a light wiff.

Had it on my friends hoist and didn’t see or find anything loose or missing dripping ect. Checked the EVAP, solenoid, tank, lines ect ect. Did get a slight gas smell that day when it was running (warm) and you were standing by the passenger fender with the hood open but not as strong as it has been.

While looking and checking things we noticed a little bubble on the rear head just above the intake manifold just left (toward pass side fender) of the 1st injector.
Thought it might be fuel somehow (seems unlikely) and it didn’t smell like fuel. Didn’t really have a smell. Would it be antifreeze? I didn’t think Chrysler ran coolant thru or near the intake like GMs but I’ve never had one apart.
Have evap “small leak” and “leak” codes and 1st O2 sensor codes
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
20,080 Posts
Check the vacuum lines to make sure they aren't cracked or hard. Being the smell is near the evap canister area, sounds (smells) like a good place to look for the smell.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks
Actually the evap can is under the driver seat on the 2003 vans.

the hoses looked good but, i guess they could be rotten with a small hole too.

·
Super Moderator
21,369 Posts
If you have large evap leak codes (P0455), that may be the fuel smell. It was common for the rubber hoses to dry rot split where they pushed onto a fitting. You may be able to diagnose this visually by carefully tracing the vapor hoses and lines from the tank forward to the purge solenoid (near the air cleaner?). The underhood vacuum diagram label can be used as a guide.
More difficult evap leaks can usually be found using a smoke machine to see where the smoke comes out.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.

I'm thinking i need to put it back on the hoist and look again more throughly.

Any thoughts on the bubbles on the intake manifold? ANtifreeze? no signs of any quick usage.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE:

Imperial you were right on. The short hoses near a fitting near the purge solenoid by the air clear were split almost like you cut them with a knife but was on the back side were you couldn't see it. Checked them a couple times but didn't see it.

Just happened to bump it good while we were changing the intake gasket (to fix the bubbling fluid-anti-freeze?? near the #5 port) and it completely came apart. Changed both sides of the fitting. 4 inches of hose total, and cleared the codes and no check engine light. kinda curious to see if it also solves the O2 code too.

THANKS!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts