Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my son has been in touch with his attorney about reaching a settlement from our head on collision last year and wants to get a nice car. He's located an 04 Concorde with the 2.7 engine and I'm not too keen on what I've read about them. Now, this is a very clean, nice looking ride with only 108,000 miles on it. I know the early 2.7's had oil passage issues, but I'm just wondering if any of you guys know if and when they got these pretty well settled. I don't want to have to get into one after he purchases it, if he does. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
By 2004, the 2.7L was a pretty good engine. A lot depends on the care and maintenance it received in its 108K miles.
Look under the oil filler cap and on the dipstick for any 'mayonnaise'. Leave it there if you hear any knocking. Drive it for noises, shakes or pulls, etc.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Have someone follow it to see if a small amount of blue smoke come out after it sits at a light or stop sign when the engine is warm. This was the only sign that the 3rd 2.7 in my 01 intrepid was dieing

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips, guys. I will definitely be checking all fluids and listening intently to the engine if he gets a settlement soon and it's still for sale. I'd love for him to stick with Mopar, but at 21, he still doesn't really know what he wants. He's all over the place from one day to another. I'm doing my best to keep the Mopars in the family. I'd love to have another Caliber, believe it or not, but any settlement money that I'll get will be going into some much needed household repairs. Dang it!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Do your son a favor and convince him to get one with a 3.5. In '04 the Concorde Limited came with the 3.5.....or splurge and get a 300M!

FYI either engine needs 100K servicing 2.7 (water pump and might as well do timing parts) - 3.5 (Timing Belt, Water Pump, Timing Belt Idler Pulley at a min)

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm leaning towards something with a 3.3 or 3.8 for the mere fact that they have timing chains and not belts. I'm really not interested in a 3.5. I had one in a 94 New Yorker and it was kind of a pain in the rear to work on. I'm getting too old to be doing some jobs and with a couple of herinated discs, I won't do much any more. Does the 3.2 have a chain or belt? I've seen a couple of Intrepids for sale with the 3.2, but have to admit that I don't know anything about them.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
The 3.2L was in the same family as the 3.5L. It shared the timing belt design and other similarities.
The 2.7L was a chain and no other Mopar engine was quite like it.
The 3.3L/3/8L are sturdy old-school OHV and chain.
Depending on fuel prices (going up) but with adequate power and being simple to work on and maintain, I would prefer a 4-cylinder for a family member's daily driver.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts