·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right, this is getting ridiculous.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTq2gkNO0N8

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_thrVTMlx4

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1A0XKGiM2Q

This happened to my wife's 04. I'm just now getting around to working on it, it failed last spring on a rainy day.
Chrysler knew it was an issue and redesigned the cowl grill:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALNbLAo5bYA

Does anyone think FCA will step up?
I have filed a complaint on the Dodge customer care site, as well as the US DOT hotline. It's nice to know the cause so I can correct it, but it's gonna cost $$$. Now i can reconcile the fact that in the summer of 2018 we pulled a 5000 lb trailer all over Montana without any failures, but it throws a rod one day in the rain. It did show warning when it would miss going thru a car wash. Any early Durango owners out there, take note and fix the cowl and reseal the intake!

·
Super Moderator
36,924 Posts
It’s a 15 year old vehicle. It’s probably unlikely you’ll get money for repairs.

Reactions: Doug D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, I don't doubt I will not receive 1 red cent. But it is interesting to try to wake up the FCA team to this issue. Here is the replay I got last night,

"Thank you for contacting Dodge Customer Care;

I can understand the dissatisfaction you feel, given that your 2004 Dodge Durango needs a new Engine. I appreciate your request for repair cost assistance and I would be happy to check into this for you.

I have researched your request for cost assistance, and have utilized every possible resource. Your warranty for this issue was for 3 Years or 36,000 Miles, whichever occurs first. Furthermore, there are no service contracts, recalls or extended warranties pertaining to the Engine.

In regards to your 2004 Dodge Durango, we fully appreciate your concern, particularly in view of the expense and inconvenience involved, however, we are unable to accommodate your request for out-of-warranty consideration.

Although we are unable to provide a more favorable reply, we appreciate the opportunity to review your request.

At this time, I will be closing this case.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further assistance by clicking here and sending us another email or calling us at 800-423-6343.

I also wanted to let you know that we attempt to conduct a satisfaction survey upon the close of a case; therefore, you could potentially receive an email or telephone survey. We’d ask that you take the time to complete the survey, so we’ll know how we’re doing and what improvements we can make to enhance the customer experience. Thank you for your time, participation and for being a valued FCA customer.

Thank you again for your email, Norman. Have a great day.

Best wishes,
Jacob
Dodge Customer Care"

Here is my response to them:

"As an employee of a Dodge dealership, Don K 45520 in Whitefish, MT I understand the warranty constraints. I am a parts advisor and deal with these kind of things daily. However, I'm not talking about warranty. I know that has long expired. I am talking about a design flaw in the original 2004 Durango cowl grill, part number 55362453AE. This was evidently discovered by engineering, as the replacement part 55362453AK is redesigned to prevent the water intrusion into the engine bay. Not including the poorly designed intake manifold seals that allow a vacuum leak to draw water into the engine. Had my Durango been fitted with the new style grill, this never would have happened place. I just asked FCA and the US DOT to consider this design flaw as a potential safety hazard. In my case, had the engine locked up completely my wife would have crashed into the guard rail due to loss of power steering assist. Thank you for your time.
Norman Palin"

We'll see what else they have to say...
Norm

1 - 3 of 3 Posts