Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need to get to the radio in #1 daughter's intrepid. Not sure how the dash comes apart and looking for help before I break something.

THe factory radio works (with very poor sound quality.. no bass) but the built in tape and extra factory CD player will not work.

Thanks for the help

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the trim bezel around the radio and climate controls just unclips from the dash. The retainers are spring-loaded and will offer some resistance to removal at first. Just use a blunt, flat tool to get the bezel started, then you should be able to get your fingernails behind it to evenly pull it off of the instrument panel.
It should be pliable enough that it won't crack. If there is any doubts, warm the interior to make the plastic less brittle. 1998-2004 LH vehicles (2nd gen) were similar in recommended service procedures

or

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks.
Intrepid wasn't that simple but not hard. Have to take the cover loose around the shifter area (ES) and move to side then pry the kickboard on the right side of the console back to get to 1 screw then pop off like the videos above. didn't put the screw back in.

Found that someone (previous owner) had unplugged the CD play (6 disc) so i plugged it back in and all the lights blinked on and off. Won't even try to let you put a disc in.
not too many on e bay but a couple "rebuilt" ones. Did they have problems with those?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
The in-dash CD changer is addressable with the DRB III scan tool. There may be fault codes and tests that can be found.
It may simply be a mechanical binding condition and may be obvious once opened up.
Kids love to put pennies in these when mom and dad aren't looking or someone may have played a CD with a paper label that fell off.
It may be worth investigating first.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts