Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY wife has a 2002 Grand Cherokee and her FOB works from a distance of 25-30 feet from vehicle, and the doors unlock. I have a 2004 grand and I have to be about 12-18 " from passenger door before doors unlock. Thanks for help!! Bruce!!

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Make sure there are no items, especially metallic, stored on the dash board and at the base of the windshield on the drivers side. This could interfere with the remote transmitter signal to the wireless control module.

Since these vehicles are only 2 years apart in age the remote transmitters should be the same style. Swap the batteries between the 2 transmitters. If the good battery from the 2002 vehicle fob is placed in the fob transmitters for the 2004 vehicle and the 2004 vehicle now will have its doors unlock from a distance of 25 - 30 feet, then you know the problem is attributable to a weak battery. If you have a volt-ohm meter you can check the voltage of the battery and it should be close to 3.0 volts. If less then the battery life is suspect. Also make sure there is no corrosion on the battery positive and negative poles and the battery contacts inside the remote transmitter. Any corrosion will lessen voltage and signal. strength.

If the battery swap does not fix the problem then there is a transmitter problem but I suspect you have a weak battery in the transmitter.

I looked at a service manual for a 2003 Neon (which should be similar) and it indicates the transmitter fob uses two Panasonic CR2016 or equivalent coin style batteries. Service manual indicates battery life to be in the range of 1 - 2 years. Battery life is certainly variable in all types of applications.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
new fob was programmed by jeep dealer with new maxell cr 2016 batterys. old fob did the same also.
Well by process of elimination since reduced range is present with new transmitter, limited range activation must be caused by the receiver wireless entry module.

I believe the wireless module is underneath the top dash pad covering. Before replacing it check all the electrical connections at the wireless module to make sure they are clean and tight. Manufacturers use dielectric grease on many if not all electrical connections and over time the grease can harden, collect dirt and start to restrict electrical power flow.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,672 Posts
FWIW, I have to be within 20-25 ft to unlock my 2006 Ram remotely whereas I can be over 100' from my 2010 Journey. If I am over 30' away from the Ram the fob does not work.

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
A good antenna on the vehicle-side is important. Length isn't as important as the antenna's uncluttered exposure to it's surroundings. Having it run up the A-pillar and above the windshield will generally give it good exposure to your RKE signal.
A Master Tech instructor taught our class this trick. I was skeptical at first, but he was right:

If you want to boost the range of your key fob there is a simple trick that absolutely works, Hold the key fob up to the underside of your jaw or the side of your head when you press it. It will significantly increase the range of the signal. For reasons that are not quite understood, the human head acts as an excellent antenna for radio signals.

No joke. Those who know me know that I'm a well educated scientist and this information came from one of my colleagues. I doubted it, but was very surprised when it worked.

Walk out to edge of the range of the key fob when just holding it in your hand (until it no longer works) and then try as I described and continue walking out until it no longer works. You'll be surprised at the increased range.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bought a haynes manual and it said that remote receiver was in overhead console. what does it look like?

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
bought a haynes manual and it said that remote receiver was in overhead console. what does it look like?
I performed a Google search on 2004 Grand Cherokee keyless entry and there were multiple posts about poor range for the remote transmitter to lock/unlock the vehicle doors. It seems that the keyless receiver is part of the drivers side door module. So if the receiver is mounted in driver's door, it is very likely that the receiver antenna has become entangled in the window lift mechanism and is damaged. This would cause poor range reception for any remote transmitter.
See the following link and scroll to the post from NJGOAT.

http://www.city-data...problem-my.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts