Allpar Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new here was directed to come here and ask about my Pacifica. I had a rat or something chew up 2 of my fuel injection wires which in turn caused a bunch of issues which the biggest was that it damaged the computer (the fuel injector for cylinder 3 doesnt get an electrical pluse on the negative side). I had this confrimed by both my mechanic and the dealership.
My question is can I get a used computer and get it reset or do I have to get a brand new one? The dealership told me that Ihad to get a new one because it was one VIN per Computer.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
21,400 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Swapping computers between vehicles is discouraged as it can cause issues. Even just to try one for diagnostic purposes can cause problems.
One thing to be aware of is installing a computer from a VTSS (vehicle theft security system)-equipped vehicle into a vehicle without that option will infect the BCM of the non-equipped vehicle and then you will need to replace both computer modules (PCM and BCM) with non-VTSS units.
Swapping a non-VTSS module into a vehicle with VTSS is permissible as it will then 'learn' that it now has VTSS. That module cannot be put back into a non-VTSS vehicle after that as it will be VTSS-only and will then infect the BCM with VTSS. Both modules do a 'handshake' and work together as a VTSS team. The modules can 'learn' the alarm feature, but they can't 'unlearn' it.
The SKIM (sentry key immobilizer) key option is another embedded code that is unique to the vehicle that it came from (the donor vehicle) if you have the gray-bodied key. Black bodied keys are non-SKIM. The dealer may be able to install the SKIM 'secret key' code with the scan tool. It is a 4-digit code unique to your vehicle.
There are different part numbers for computers depending on which engine (3.5L or 3.8L) and which emissions market yours is for. Yours should have a white barcode and part number label. Look for that number or a superseded version of that number.
What Mopar part # are you looking for? Google it.
The VIN and mileage is stored in the PCM for a matter of record. It can be changed by a dealership to match your vehicle with the dealer scan tool if you desire. Having a different VIN and mileage alone shouldn't keep the PCM from working in your vehicle. Your odometer mileage is stored in the BCM, so that displayed mileage won't change.
I see 2004 Pacifica PCMs advertised online for around $270. I would really avoid used (unknown) ones.

·
Super Moderator
37,264 Posts
I'd look at one of the reman dealers on eBay. They will program VIN and mileage so it's a direct swap. That is what I did for the bad PCM in my Magnum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got the computer (week later than the ebay shipper stated >.>). Had it installed this week. Just talked to the mechanic..he got it in and it runs beautifully....except it shuts off due to the security system. He can't change the VIN on the computer, so I am going to have to take it to a dealer and see if they will flash it. Hopefully they can and I won't need a brand new one.

·
Super Moderator
37,264 Posts
Did you buy a used or a reman computer?
If a reman computer was purchased, it should be programmed with the VIN (as mine was) there should be no need to reprogram anything. If that's the case, it sounds as if there is another issue.
If it was a used computer, then there will be a VIN mismatch between the computer the ignition module for the SKIM key. Does the red light stay on (which would indicate a key problem due to the VIN mismatch)?

·
Super Moderator
21,400 Posts
So basically a used (and unknown) one.
Did your vehicle have VTSS and SKIM? Does this replacement PCM have it?
You shouldn't just plug in an unknown PCM.
When the seller states that their units must be installed by an 'approved' repair facility, they likely mean a Chrysler dealership with the DRB tool.

·
Super Moderator
37,264 Posts
That is a used one, not a reman. A reman one would be programmed with your VIN and your mileage so there is no need to program a VIN. It truly is plug and play. I've used this seller twice:
autocomputerexchange-ace on eBay
Once to put a standard PCM back in my other 99 Dakota which had a premium fuel only Mopar Performance computer.
Earlier this year to replace a failed PCM in my 2007 Magnum.
In both cases, I provided the VIN and mileage to them along with the part number on the PCM and they sent a PCM that was a simple plug and play.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I FINALLY got one that works! Third times the charm apparently, even this one had issues as they ground off the bottom two bolts inside the holes. Put it in and it rund great now. Only issue I've had is that when I unlock tye door, the seat resets and I have to push the program button for seat position.

·
Super Moderator
21,400 Posts
I'm glad that you finally got a successful repair.
The memory seat isn't controlled by the PCM, but somehow the BCM/MHSMM (memory heated seat/mirror module) must have lost its settings?
Try relearning the seats/mirrors/pedals/radio preset positions? I have had to run the seat track and recliner motors to both ends of their travels to re-teach the seat limits to the module. The procedure should be covered in the owners manual.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did try reprogramming the seat but it continues to reset...oh well it'll work for now

Thanks for the help

1 - 13 of 13 Posts