Allpar Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so I've been noticing that my 2004 PT Cruiser's muffler has been lower than usual, and today I decided to finally give her a peak, when this is what I noticed... Anyone got any advice for super cheap DIY fix for this to get it back where it should be? I don't want to get crap welded and spend an arm and a leg to do so. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks! Video link to problem

·
Registered
9 Posts
Buy a small piece of bar stock to bridge the rusted area - Hardware store or Home depot. Bridge the rusted area and secure with self tapping screws ( predrill the bridge metal ) . Then drill the bridge to reinstall the original hanger. I would at least paint the rusted area and the bar stock before making the repair. A better, but more time consuming option, would be cut out the rusted metal before making the repair. If you happen to have butyl tape or a scrap of sheet rubber and put it between the bridge and the original sheet metal it will keep out the moisture and the fix will last longer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Buy a small piece of bar stock to bridge the rusted area - Hardware store or Home depot. Bridge the rusted area and secure with self tapping screws ( predrill the bridge metal ) . Then drill the bridge to reinstall the original hanger. I would at least paint the rusted area and the bar stock before making the repair. A better, but more time consuming option, would be cut out the rusted metal before making the repair. If you happen to have butyl tape or a scrap of sheet rubber and put it between the bridge and the original sheet metal it will keep out the moisture and the fix will last longer.
Sounds like a pretty good idea. So I would just bridge the medal to another solid medal piece near by?

·
Registered
9 Posts
There should be enough flat surface on either side of the rusted area. You'll only need a couple of inches on either side to mount the repair bridge. If you can completely cover the rusted area, great, but you want to at least cover the original mounting hole area so the muffler mount is in the original location. 1/8 inch steel is overkill, but is easy to find. 12 to 16 gauge sheet metal would work, but may be hard to buy just a small piece. Just be sure you spray some rust proof paint up inside the rust hole to slow down the corrosion. .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts