Allpar Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am the sebring owner in northern canada and now am finding that my radiator fan comes on when the car is started and keeps running..

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
Most likely the fan relay.

·
Super Moderator
21,364 Posts
There are high and low speed fan relays in the underhood fuse/relay center. They are turned on and off by the PCM.
For some reason a relay may be shorted on or the PCM is getting wrong information about engine temperature or if the A/C-defrost is on or the PCM itself may have an issue. Any 'ck eng' light on or fault codes?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank-you both for your replies..No codes or lights yet. Is the fan relay located in the fusebox under the hood?

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Sometimes the contacts stick, they weld together from internal arcing as the contacts open. Usually you can cycle them to unstick them. Then replace or swap relays underhood that have the same part number.

·
Super Moderator
21,364 Posts
It could if it was a signal value out of the high/low range that the PCM allows, like an open circuit or short to ground. If it is still within a 'believable' or valid temperature value to the PCM, it shouldn't set the 'ck eng' light.
If a rad fan relay is pulled out with the ign on, it may set a code as the PCM sees an open circuit to the relay actuator coil.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
You can swap the relays around and see if that's it. They're all the same number.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi All,

I am puzzled by this. Both fans are coming on and I swapped around the relays with no success..Could there be another part of the circuit that is stuck open?

Also thought it may be the Engine coolant sensor. Does anyone have specs on what the resistance reading should be for this sensor. Not sure how to test it..If this is malfunctioning, could it give the wrong signal to the computer?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
If it were the CTS, you should get a fault code. Nevertheless, the CTS is a steep negative-slope thermistor. Very approximate values would be: 15K to 22K ohms at about 25F to 30F ambient; 3K around 70F ambient; and with engine fully warm, about 600 ohms (as fast as you can shut the engine off and unplug the sensor to read it, the resistance will climb to over 1.3K).

·
Super Moderator
21,364 Posts
Both fans do run in the low or high speed mode. They are 2-speed fan motors.
If you pull a relay and the fans stop, that is the circuit (low or high speed) that is staying on.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone again, will try pulling the relays while the fan is running..

Interesting thing happened..Started car this morning and the fans did not come on. The temperature has warmed up about 10 degrees so I wonder if the relays have a threshold temperature before they stick?

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Not temperature. It's the kickback current that welds the contacts together, and eventually the stresses relax and the contacts break open again.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks again Bob,

I think I may as well replace both relays and see how that goes.

Appreciate everyones help.

·
Super Moderator
21,364 Posts
For diagnostic purposes, it would be OK to swap the 2 relays with a couple of 'non-critical' adjacent relays of the same part number in the fuse/relay center.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts