Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
this is an intermittent condition that I've seen off and on for the past few months.
PO 2096 Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Lean, Bank 1
PO 2098 Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Lean, Bank 2

Given I have two codes for the same issue, I am thinking Gas or Gas cap might be the issue ?
I have changed my Gas buying patterns with a recent Coupon Savings promo from a local independent Retailer.

Anyone else experience this with their Chrysler ?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
It can be contaminated fuel (water?) or it can be a very small exhaust leak or engine mechanical or O2 sensors/circuits.

P2096-DOWN STREAM FUEL SYSTEM 1/2 LEAN
When Monitored: With the engine running in closed loop mode, the ambient/battery
temperature above (-7°C)20°F, altitude below 8500 ft and fuel level greater than 15%.

Set Condition: If the PCM adds downstream short term compensation to long term
adaptive and a certain percentage is exceeded for two trips, a freeze frame is stored, the
MIL illuminates and a trouble code is stored.

P2098-DOWN STREAM FUEL SYSTEM 2/2 LEAN
When Monitored: With the engine running in closed loop mode, the ambient/battery
temperature above (-7°C)20°F, altitude below 8500 ft and fuel level greater than 15%.

Set Condition: If the PCM adds downstream short term compensation to long term
adaptive and a certain percentage is exceeded for two trips, a freeze frame is stored, the
MIL illuminates and a trouble code is stored

POSSIBLE CAUSES:
EXHAUST LEAK
ENGINE MECHANICAL PROBLEM
O2 SENSOR
O2 SIGNAL CIRCUIT
O2 RETURN CIRCUIT
FUEL CONTAMINATION

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Where abouts are you from? I know it's a totally different beast, but running E10 makes my car run like crap. There are only 2 stations in town that sell E10 and I avoid them at all cost. I also got some of that bad bp gas, thank goodness that I didn't fill up on it! Only put $10 in that day.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
Diagnose. If the problem can be traced to fuel contamination, this could unfold into a very expensive repair. A fuel sample should be taken. Visually water will stay at the bottom of the sample and the fuel may 'layer' into a cloudy or discolored layer after sitting a few hours.
If the retailer is pumping contaminated fuel, you are probably not be the only one with the problem. A local BBB or internet source may disclose that a fuel problem has occurred and give a website and 800 number. If the retailer is honest, they might be upfront about a known problem.
I read about the BP fiasco:
http://articles.chic...residue-bad-gas
If you have a drain plug at the bottom of your plastic fuel tank, you could drain the fuel out, remove the tank, clean out the insides and probably replace the fuel pump/regulator/filter assembly. I have had to replace the fuel tank itself in badly contaminated cases.
Handle fuel with extreme care and use approved methods and containers if you attempt this yourself.
Their insurance may cover this.
Is this a Flex Fuel V6?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts