Allpar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. My Dakota has a 6 spd manual trans. And it has a neutral safety switch. It won't start without the clutch depressed. After 7 years, it's getting hard to start. I had to repeat it over with the starting and also the clutch I keep pressing. Finally it starts. Is there like an adjustment needed to correct the problem? Not that it's
getting colder, it will be difficult to start after one try. it takes multiple tries.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,671 Posts
When was the last tune up (plugs, wires, etc)? I'd start there. Why do you suspect the neutral safety switch?

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
It's actually a clutch safety switch. Is it failing to crank unless you *mash* the clutch into the carpet? If so, replace the switch.

·
Super Moderator
21,355 Posts
There is an important difference here between the starter failing to crank over the engine and the engine cranking over, but failing to fire the cylinders.
The clutch pedal switch will only affect the starter cranking over the engine or not.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When was the last tune up (plugs, wires, etc)? I'd start there. Why do you suspect the neutral safety switch?
A tune up is ruled out. I've done it some months ago anyway. The safety switch is what closes the starting circuit to start. By holding down the clutch. Not depressing the cluch, no starting. No cranking can be heard. It's dead silent.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,671 Posts
Guess I'm not understanding. Are you saying it's not cranking even though you are depressing the clutch pedal? Or it's not cranking at all? Or it's cranking but not starting?

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,671 Posts
Okay - I agree with Bob, replace the switch.

If you have a multimeter I'd check the battery voltage - should be at least 12.8 volts at rest, 14+ volts with the engine idling. A weak battery can cause a number of weird electrical issues. It also takes quite a bit of voltage to crank the engine and provide spark. How old is the battery?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay - I agree with Bob, replace the switch.

If you have a multimeter I'd check the battery voltage - should be at least 12.8 volts at rest, 14+ volts with the engine idling. A weak battery can cause a number of weird electrical issues. It also takes quite a bit of voltage to crank the engine and provide spark. How old is the battery?

Two plus years (4/2010)

T

·
0 Posts
Are the terminals clean? Make sure you clean all of them, especially at the starter!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NEEDS ANOTHER STARTER

Unfortunatly I need another. Here's what happened.

I unbolted the starter. Detached the solenoid cable. The positive end that's bolted onto the stud of the
starter is the problem. It rusted. When I applied WD-40 and let it soaked, I try to loosen it. But it was really on there. Forcing it, I wind up turning the stud. So, the damaged is there. I need another starter.
I will have to grind off the nut from the defected starter.

Rust. The enemy to the set of wheels.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts