Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just how hard is it to remove/replace the valve cover gaskets on a '05 Grand Caravan 3.3? My Haynes manual says to remove the wiper tray, but it seems like that's overkill. I agree it's a tight fit under there, but it looks like I could remove the upper portion of the intake manifold and have enough room. Anyone tackled this job? Tips and suggestions appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
The wiper tray may look complex to remove, but is really quite easy once you do it a couple of times. Is there a procedure given in the Haynes for removing it?
Simple tools needed. 15mm for the wiper arm nuts, T25 for the cowl screen screws, 10mm and 13mm sockets for the bucket and braces. Disconnect the washer and left/right drain hoses and disconnect the wiper motor connector.
The first time is a learning curve, but it can be done in less than 10 minutes.
Clean out any leaves and tree debris while the bucket is out. You will be rewarded with a lot more engine compartment room. I wouldn't mess with the upper intake manifold.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Second that - would rather remove the wiper tray anytime rather than open the manifold. Will make it easy to set the rear cover back in place. Pop the wipers off (you may need a small puller - worth the small investment) and a hand full of nuts and a couple bolts and your there. I did it once on my brother in law's 4th gen van - but it is very similar on our 3rd gen and I have probably had the tray out at least 20 times. Once you've done it piece of cake - also great for changing plugs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree with the suggestions above. Pulling the wiper pan is not hard and gives you a lot of room.
The top bolts on the valve cover are tight enough without some room to work.
Do your spark plugs at the same time and check the power steering suction hose while you're in there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts