Allpar Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Just checking out the forums! Lots of great info here.
Purchased an '05 Turbo. Has 80k miles. Tuned it up with new plugs and wires (Iridiums but now I know better lol), changed oil to Fully Synthetic. Car idles rough when we pull up to a light or a stop. I can put the car in neutral and it smooths out. I noticed a few folks asking about that on other posts.
Also, when we crank the car it has a little surging in the mornings. Is this the turbo needing warming up or something? Never owned a turbo before.
Thanks for any help. I read through all the posts and never came across a problem or a fix to something similar.

·
Registered
8,501 Posts
Welcome to Allpar, James. I have an 03 GT that does the same thing. I've been over every frigging vacuum line, replaced plugs, wires, filters, etc and mine still does it. I just consider it the nature of the beast and live with it. You can go to www.ptcruiserlinks.com and ask. It's a forum just for the PT's. There's a guy there goes by NitroPT that is an ASE certified master mechanic and he KNOWS his stuff!

·
Premium Member
26,427 Posts
Hello! Just checking out the forums! Lots of great info here.
Purchased an '05 Turbo. Has 80k miles. Tuned it up with new plugs and wires (Iridiums but now I know better lol), changed oil to Fully Synthetic. Car idles rough when we pull up to a light or a stop. I can put the car in neutral and it smooths out. I noticed a few folks asking about that on other posts.
Also, when we crank the car it has a little surging in the mornings. Is this the turbo needing warming up or something? Never owned a turbo before.
Thanks for any help. I read through all the posts and never came across a problem or a fix to something similar.
Verify there are no vacuum leaks then clean and/or replace the idle air control sensor on the throttle body.

Mike

Reactions: James F.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for replying to this newb's question!

Verify there are no vacuum leaks then clean and/or replace the idle air control sensor on the throttle body.

Mike
Welcome to Allpar, James. I have an 03 GT that does the same thing. I've been over every frigging vacuum line, replaced plugs, wires, filters, etc and mine still does it. I just consider it the nature of the beast and live with it. You can go to www.ptcruiserlinks.com and ask. It's a forum just for the PT's. There's a guy there goes by NitroPT that is an ASE certified master mechanic and he KNOWS his stuff!

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,020 Posts
A rough idle in gear (when the engine tips) can also be from soft or sagging motor mounts. The right side mount is hydro-elastic and front one are prone to deterioration. It is difficult to access the right mount as it is inside the right frame rail. The engine/transaxle have to be moved out of the way to get at it. Motor mounts also have to be in proper adjustment. The bolt holes are slotted for this.
Is the idle too low? Throttle body cleaning would be the first thing to try as mentioned.
The correct spark plugs are very important. For both the EDT and EDV turbos, the Champion Copper Plus RE14MCC5 is the recommended choice.
If the rough idle is from misfire, that would require further diagnosis. Ignition, fuel or mechanical.
There is a PCM software update that greatly improved idle quality and misfire issues with TSB # 18-024-04 if yours hasn't been done and falls before the build date listed. The latest and greatest software is always most desirable. Disregard the new plugs and wires, as you have already done those:
http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/neontsbs/2004/18-024-04.pdf

1 - 5 of 5 Posts