Allpar Forums banner

2005 Liberty 2.8 VM Diesel 2.8 Fuel rail pressure sensor

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  HOTPIG175 
#1 ·
Hello people,

Hope everyone's getting all their vehicles sorted - this is one mighty forum.

A friend did a deal to settle an outstanding bill for work he'd done on a farm irrigation project, and it was all very amicable, given the Covid thing, and the fact that sometimes people just can't meet their commitments for reasons outside their control.

So there was a bit of horse-trading, (Jeep-trading?), and everyone shook hands, and life was once again the fairyland we all realistically expect it to be.

But wait! There's more!

The Liberty is immaculate, with a mileage so low that I can't compute it, but it was the old feller's farm vehicle. However, about a week later, all was not well with Miss Liberty. Almost impossible to start, and if it would, it ran ok for a few minutes, then began to do the hairy-goat thing.

There was definitely water in the fuel system, which is very annoying but dealable-with, but now the fuel rail pressure sensor has decided to take extended leave.

Part number 68002740AA. It appears from a quick chat with Dr Google that this "component" was used in many models, and superseded twice.

All the genuine Mopar suppliers are stating "no longer available", but we could buy something out of Poland, that, if the fuzzy picture and fractured language is anything to go by, may actually work.

None available in NZ, nor in Australia. Ex-UK, maybe but $NZ500 + freight and duty, etc. Please not that.

Is their a work-around or substitute we can do, (nicely - no cable ties, rope or superglue), that will get this machine up and running? I know that I certainly don't have the skills, but are there people out there who can fix these things? Where are they hiding?

I mean, we could convert it into a gasoline engine again - there are 4 in the shed, but I can't believe that a component so crappy was fitted, according to what I've read in several different places, to so many vehicles from the one manufacturer. They must have surely started to fail when under a year old, given the dire lack of spares.

I could go on, but any ideas on how to overcome this would be greatly appreciated.

I am not a fan of the Liberty, but so what?

It's an immaculate vehicle that deserves to be working for a living, so all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Andy

See less See more
#2 ·
Which 'P' code is the PCM reporting? There are several different faults that the rail fuel pressure sensor can throw.
I find a different Mopar part # for a 2005 KJ: 5159963AA that supersedes to 68020556AA. Either part # would work.
There are 3 major TSBs that address erroneous sensor codes, among other enhancements:

Attachments

#3 ·
Hi, and thanks for your detailed response.

I'm not sure what codes are showing - the vehicle is 100 miles away, and all I know is that my mate had it running fine, then loaned the sensor to another "mate" to substitute it for his own apparently faulty one - he didn't have any codes, but it had been diagnosed in some workshop as having the faulty sensor.

He screamed like a stuck pig when he saw the price of a new one, and, ostensibly, wanted Hamish's good sensor to "prove" the fault, rather than spend the money on something that he might not need.

Then he went off the radar for a while, and when Hamish finally managed to give him a gentle reminder, he returned a sensor. However, we suspect he returned his dud one, and kept Hamish's good unit, but he emphatically denies this, and there's no way to prove otherwise - just a bit odd how he disappeared for a while, and then either forked over the bucks for a new sensor, and returned the loaner which mysteriously died during it's travels, or he's a gentleman who has just been crossed off several Xmas card lists.

Some people make themselves very hard to like.

Thanks for the substitute part number - I'd found 2 others, but not that one, so much appreciated.

I'll go hunting and see if I can find one, as the genuine 68002740AA seems to be made of unobtanium.

Cheers, Andy

#4 ·
Reactions: HOTPIG175
#5 ·
Since this sensor isnt anything that mother has made its nothing more than a quite standard sensor used in many applications made by bosch.
- there are third party manufacturers of it fex: 68020556AA Fuel Rail High Pressure Sensor Common Injection Regulator For Jeep Liberty Limited 65th Anniversary Edition 2.8L 3.7L|injection pressure regulator|sender - AliExpress
Hi AC TC,

Thanks for that - it's really helpful, and I've flicked it off to my friend.

I must start using Ali Express more - I keep forgetting about it, and probably pay way too much for everything.

Thanks again, and take care,

Andy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.