Allpar Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all - newbie here. I have a 2005 Neon SXT and need to do the rear brakes. I had them dome 2 years ago by a "smaller" shop and they just haven't been right. One side drags and they seem soft. My neighbor is a retired mechanic, he pulled the drums and said the wrong shoes were put in. They are too narrow, but the right size in general. I looked at an on-line catalog and there are a few different options and sizes for the rear drums and shoes. Q: How can I identify what I should have? So I can get the correct parts for the car. If by VIN # , how do i go about that? Do I need to take them off and measure something? I just want the OEM correct parts (shoes and drums).
Any input is greatly appreciated. JD

·
Super Moderator
21,369 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. I show a generic # 519 for drum brake rear shoes. This size covered many Chrysler FWD years and models.
The shop must have installed completely wrong shoes for them to be too narrow. Any part # listed on the shop receipt?
Replace the brake hardware kit if things are frozen and rusty. Wheel cylinders should be dry and move freely.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry it took me so long to find this. I don't know my way around the site yet and didn't have my notifications set up ( still not sure ). Anyway. I ordered all new parts - front pads, front rotors, rear shoes, wheel cylinders, hardware kits, and drums. I ordered the from Rock Auto - matched all part numbers to OEM then purchased them all from Wagner. So, they should be right and all go together - I am putting in all OEM parts as far as I know. I know one wheel cylinder is blown - leaking currently everywhere - that's what led to this. So, I am replacing both and flushing / bleeding the whole system. Another replied to my post that a quart should do it?
Thanks for the reply and the help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts