Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is something that just started but now that it has, it wears the tire quickly. I don't have any noticible sway when driving like my Jeep had when wearing rear tires (that turned out to be control bars). I don't think it's wheel bearings because I didn't feel any obvious movement but then again, I didn't force open the brake calipers either. Wondering if its some kind of control arm bushing, ball joints (does it have them in rear?) or something. Never seen a rear end like this personally. Anyone got an idea? This can't be just an alignment.

·
Super Moderator
21,355 Posts
The mostly aluminum rear suspension assembly is close to a Mercedes-Benz design.
If the joints and w/bearings are good, go with a 4 wheel alignment to see where it stands.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Lots of things cause this. Has my wife been driving the vehicle? She hits every curb with the back right tire. It knocks it out of balance and they start wearing. How long have the tires been on the back? Rotate and Balance them. I rotate every 5000-10000. Balance every 20000 - 25000. I was told only to balance once for the life of the tire. I used to balance every 5000 miles so don't know how you drive or what your doing. Air pressure? If its low it could do some damage, usually not that much, but sometimes I carry a 3 ton jack in the neon and its a lot of weight for the car with tools. Were all the tires put on the same time? Those would be the most obvious ones, especially if its wearing just on the inside of the tire. The alignment can do that to. I would have one done every 25000-40,000 miles it depends on how it steers, potholes, off roading etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
just remembered if its a bearing or brake, run it for 5 minutes. Then stop get out put your hands down on each tire. if its hot its a break or bearing. If its a break, take a sledge or heavy hammer and smack the rim of the tire to free it up not too hard, but around the rim to break it free. Then back up, to see if it releases. Then go drive it for a few minutes and see if its cooled down. May have to let it cool, then run it 5 minutes.

If its a bearing out, have someone follow behind and they should see the tire wobbling really bad on that side. Then it would be a broken belt, tire out of balance, or bearing. Otherwise I don't have a clue. Do you have a vibration in the floor? Do you have a vibration in the wheel?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts