Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After being unable to diagnose a refrigerant leak on my 05 ptc gt. It turns out the low side hose that runs from the compressor to the accumulator was leaking, but mostly when driving the car. Air would hold a charge for a week when not driving it. Make a short run to the grocery store etc and it was hot when we came out.

Turns out the top motor mount / torque bar was somewhat loose allowing the motor to rock back and forth a visually noticeable amount, but no noise clunk / bang when driving. The lower ac hose aluminum part is anchored just behind the power steering pump, where the rubber part goes back to the accumulator. It's really a snug fit, maybe an extra 1/2 inch of hose would have been a better design.

But to make a long story short, when driving the engine torque was pulling on the hose where it is coupled right after the securing bracket causing the leak. Only after adding some die to the system was i able to see where the refrigerant was leaking.

Really strange that mount would be so loose. It's a 33k mile car that is never driven hard or beaten on. So if you have a 134-a / freon leak check this first.

20150905_114643.jpg

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Good to know. Thanks for sharing. I just picked up a PT GT with the turbo back in June.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yikes.. I was hit with 3 labor hours to change that hose. Does that sound right?

Thinking about cutting the aluminum crimp off the hose and putting a splice in it. Otherwise it's a $200 plus job that's not in the monthly budget. Yea i know.. But sometimes a little hill-billy engineering is in order. The old LeBaron is so much easier to work on..

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Fido; There is an upper motor strut and a lower motor strut on PT's. I'd recommend changing both at once. There is an adjustment that must be made to locate the engine/trans in the proper position.[4.7"]. The lower strut is different on GT's [I think].

1 - 4 of 4 Posts