Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2005 PT Cruiser with 33500 miles off Craigslist... The vehicle had low miles cause the little ole lady drove it 20 miles a day and then she passed away in March... After I bought the vehicle and got it home I realized the oil had not been changed since March 2010 and I don't know when it had been driven last ... I got the oil changed and am on my second can of Sea foam... It seems to miss even when in idle sometimes especially with the AC on. I had the AC checked out and no problems were found... I did the computer code test and the odometer showed "done". Does that mean there is nothing wrong with the vehicle or my car doesn't have codes??? Also, any suggestions on other services maintainence I may need to do right away due to it not being driven in months before purchasing? Was going to change the fuel filter but it is in the fuel tank... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..
Thanks
DeAnna

·
Super Moderator
21,352 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. If the battery went dead from storage, any stored codes would have been lost. It does sound like the car sat for long periods. If there is a misfire, it will eventually set a code and light the 'ck eng' light. There may be a pending code that can be read with a scan tool before it matures into an active code. A bottle of Techron in the tank may help.
There is a 30K scheduled maintainance spelled out in the owners manual that includes replacing spark plugs. At 7 years old, I would replace the plug wires as well. Use the recommended Champion or NGK plugs listed on your underhood label.
There are some PCM/TCM software upgrades to improve idle quality and shifting characteristics.
http://www.ertyu.org...4/18-024-04.pdf
The upper intake plenum has to come off to replace plugs #2, 3 and 4. If you are going to do work on it yourself, a service manual could be your best friend.
Transaxle service with ATF+4 (only) and fresh filter is worth it if it never been done.
A bumper-to-bumper look-over for problems may save aggravation and money later.
Little things like a cabin air filter may eliminate interior odors and mustiness. There are HEPA-certified ones. Febreeze makes a scented one. Depending on the cars past environment, there may be tree debris falling out of the filter when removing the old one. Have newspaper underneath it during the service. You never know what may fall out of it.
Coolant is 7 years old, despite the low mileage a flush may be due. Use the orange HOAT coolant for aluminum protection.
Don't worry about the fuel filter, it isn't a routine service any more.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Imperial pretty much covered it. You didnt say too many details about your PT, but mine was experiencing a stumble whenever Id shift gears (mine's a turbo with manual trans) so after a little research it turns out the stock wires are pretty much garbage on PT Cruisers. If those are going down, it probably wont throw any codes, at least Ive never heard of that happening. I got the Mopar performance wires and a set of NGK iridium plugs (you wont need iridiums if yours isnt a turbo) and that breathed new life right into mine. Change your air filter too, that is probably plugged up. Id recommend a K&N drop in piece in your case, just be aware that you'll have to wash and re-oil it when it gets all cruddy. Itll gain a mpg or 2 which will pay for it in time (about $50 or so) and youll probably notice a little more pep. Also, make sure not to buy cheapo gas from the cut-rate place as that usually comes from the bottom of the tanker and you get all the sediment and crap from the bottom. Since the car hasnt been driven much, you might consider a fuel system cleaner and possibly having your injectors cleaned since all that downtime can cause water condensation in your fuel tank...that may result in a miss. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts