Allpar Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a customer with a 2005 Ram 2500 HD 4WD truck with Cummins Diesel. It came to me due to the classic internal door failure, the only non-failed door was the fresh air/recirc one. I replaced all the doors, including having to get the lower blend doors. After reassembling the beast I had a coolant leak at the firewall area inside the cab, owner was convinced the heater core was bad, wrong, it is the hoses apparently leaking around the tubes. It has the factory spring clamps and probably the original hoses. I believe I found the correct hose numbers, 55056507AC and 55037607AC.

The other item, apparently the orifice tube is bad, I have found two listings, one shows just the orifice, the other shows it as built into the line (my Taurus is that way). Truck is a crew cab if that makes a difference. 4 seasons shows a 56822 in their catalog and it is the line and orifice. Amazon has the line, the heater hoses apparently have to come from Chrysler, lovely, nearest dealer is an hour's drive North and is a little Ford and CDJR one. Any ideas on finding good replacements?

·
KOG
7,206 Posts
Either try Genos or one of the online dealers who discount on the web.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the orifice tube coming from Amazon and the heater hoses from O'Reilly in Virginia Beach. All supposed to be here tomorrow.

·
Virginia Gentleman
15,273 Posts
I have a customer with a 2005 Ram 2500 HD 4WD truck with Cummins Diesel. It came to me due to the classic internal door failure, the only non-failed door was the fresh air/recirc one. I replaced all the doors, including having to get the lower blend doors
I'm curious as to how you accessed the mode 2 door that is in the lower center part of the dash - in the 1500's there is a metal bracket that makes it inaccessible according to everything I read. I had the entire assembly replaced in my '06 1500 about two years ago. The only doors working by then were the cold/hot blend doors and it was stuck in the dash setting. All others had failed or broken (mode 1, mode 2 and recirc). With the new assembly (redesigned) I had to get a new evaporator ($400). Had the shop replace the heater core while they were in there. Came to $2200 parts and labor and a week in the shop.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went to a company called "heater treater" they have a full line of steel doors for these. They give you a way to cut things to get at the various doors. The do caution that cutting the brace out of the center weakens the dash structure and suggest that it be properly reinforced (probably for liability issues). I elected to remove the dash and then the HVAC casing. In addition to the broken doors, I found Chrysler is still using the cheapest materials they can get on the foam seals.

For my way of thinking, I will stick to my 34 year old F350, I did upgrade the system to R134 spec (larger condenser and evaporator and improved blend door). Nicely, Ford trucks 1980-1996/7 with AC and any from 1987-97 use the exact same layout behind the dash. BTW, I can swap the heater core in about 30 mins, evaporator in about an hour.

Reactions: Doug D

·
Virginia Gentleman
15,273 Posts
I have visited the heater treater site, but I wasn't willing to take a chance cutting into stuff. Plus I didn't have the time. But at least everything works now. I don't drive the truck much anymore since I telecommute. Maybe 300-400 miles a month. Use to drive 600 miles a week.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts