Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2006 charger R/T the motor was replace by 2011 engine the guy I bought the car could not get it start it. I bought car as-is.the car cranks and want wants to start but wont .I need to know how to go about it ,I was told to
get the PCM flash or program

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum.

There is a little bit of legwork you are going to have to do. Verify the PCM was updated to the 2011 engine. Things like sensors, locations or movement of such can vary and may not be working or sparking when it is supposed to. I think there was a big computer change in 2007.

In the meantime, verify fuel getting to the injectors, the rest is all electronics.

·
Super Moderator
36,907 Posts
If the engine that was swapped in is really from a 2011 car, that is going to be a problem. A 2011 engine isn't a direct interchage with a 2006. I hope the car was a good deal becasue the only way this would probably work is to get factory service manuals for both years and check to see what is different.

You may be time and money ahead to sell the 2011 engine and get one that is compatible with the 2006 car which would generally be from a 2006-2008 car.
Electronics are different after 2007 or 2008, the 2011 computer won't work with the car's 2006 electronics.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys i will do a lil bit of leg work and see how far i can get without having to replace the engine ,
if not i will have to replace it .

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
What you are going to have to do is physically check the location of each sensor (especially ignition timing location and fuel injection sequence), and change out the PCM because internally the electronics package is definitely an issue. Another thing is how much the previous owner actually changed. Did he start with a wrecked car and swapped TB to oil pan and every single sensor, or was it a stripped engine and he bolted the original stuff onto the newer block and heads? If you could find out where he got the engine from a yard (I would suspect), see if the PCM is available, which may speed up the process and get her to run.

·
Super Moderator
36,907 Posts
The 2011 PCM won't work with the 2006 car because it won't communicate with the other models. There is no way around that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts